Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migrating from 5.0.11 to 6.5 Domino questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

idamann

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2003
US
We currently have Domino 5.0.11 running on a server that is being de-comissioned. I am going to move the Domino server to a new VERY beefy server with plenty of space/RAM/ processor power and would like some suggestions.

I've never set up or moved a Domino server before and I have been given two weeks to do it in.

Details:
-230 users
-email gateway is used for spam and viruses so there is a forward set for SMTP.
-webmail is used with a custom page
-no replication with any other servers
-single-server with only Notes and Calendar features are being used.

Is there a way to replicate the data from the old server and place the new server in production with minimal interruption of service? Or is there a better way to do things?

I'm open to ANY suggestions.

Id@

You could install the 5.0.11 server software on the new hardware, and before starting it up, copy over the names.nsf, all the mail files and apps, then give it a go (after shutting down the existing Domino server, of course).
If your 2nd server works, then you could upgrade that to 6.x.

I believe this is possible, since Domino is quite flexible as far as installation is concerned.

Pascal.

I had thoughts of that last night about 11pm.

I have had really good luck with Norton Ghost and copying the boot drives over to a different workstation or server and basically having two copies of whatever server/workstation I have.

I will be trying tonight:

making a Ghost copy of the C: drive of the current Domino server and replacing the new server's C: drive with that copy, then using a backup tape to restore the rest of the data to the D: drive(where all of the Domino data files are)

The new server will not be in production until I'm ready for it and this is all just a test, but if it works I will post results here.

Id@

Sounds good to me. A full install or a Ghost is the same effect, as far as I'm concerned. The Domino server certainly won't see the difference - on the same hardware that is.

Pascal.

Have you read IBMs tip on this at
Its 'fairly' painless. You get 5.0.11 running and then upgrade with th 6.5.x install.

Like Pascal said, after using Ghost the Windows install expects to see the same hardware (mobo/nic/graphics/scsi). Windows may sort itself out on startup, but may not be as clean an install thereafter.

OK, Ghost threw some errors on copying the Windows install, so that method is out.

I'm restoring from a backup done last night of all the databases to the new server and will do some more reading and go from there.

post more later,

Id@

OK, ended up doing this:

restored the entire data drive to a same-named drive on the new server then installed 5.0.11 server on the new physical server.

Ran compact

started new domino server(5.0.11) verified it runs.

shut down 5.0.11

installed 6.5

ran compact

had to make some changes to the INI file to disable LDAP, other than this I had no problems.

started 6.5, been running strong now for 3 days.

I also named the new physical server the exact name as the old server, and gave it the same IP address.

done, and working.

thank everyone for their help.

Id@

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back