Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migrating Exchange 2000 to new server.. complexities??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman10

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
US
Hey all-

Hope everyone is tech-stress free. "yeah right"! Anyway here goes.. My small company is thinking about doing a migration from Exchange 2000 server (old server) to a newer Compaq Exchange 2000 server. Generally, we would really like to keep the hostname the same in order to avoid having to get in touch with ISP providers and having to change MX records.. My question is: is this generally do-able, or will I have to undoubtedly change the hostname of the new server and change MX records anyway.. We host the Exchange server inhouse as well as our ISA (proxy) server (if this info helps).. Also, what is the proper migration tool to use for this issue.. forestprep? domainprep?.. Believe me, I'll do much research and am not trying to pass the buck on to someone else who's done this on the fly but am looking for general direction.. this is email and can't be screwed up at any cost.. can anyone help point the way?? your help would be quite admirable..

thx
gman [morning]

I just did what your asking about. Well kinda, anyways. I've moved my companys entire mail store to a temp exchange 2000 server and its working fine. I plan to install windows 2003 and exchange 2003 on our real mail server. Then move the mailboxes back to this server. I changed the mx record on our local dns server to resolve to the temp exchange server for the time being. To move the mailboxes use the move mailbox command under exchange tasks in AD. We have a PIX firewall that has a static translation to the IP of our mail server. Once i had things up and running i changed the ip of the temp exchange server to that of our original exchange server.

Check out Microsoft Knowledge base Articule 297289

XDAM: How to Move Exchange 2000 to New Hardware and keep the same server name.

bob

Jones' Law
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Thanks to both of you, I'll let you both know what transpires.. thx again!!

gman[morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back