Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating DNS DHCP to W2K3 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierrejamme

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2004
US
Hi:
Our Linux (Debian-Bind 9.2.4) expert moved on and we need to migrate DNS server & DHCP server to windows 2003 in Active directory.
is it possible to migrate this, or should I just start over?
Peter

If there are not that many hosts you can always re-create your DNS environment, but you can also setup a Windows server as the primary DNS server and the Linux DNS a secondary server.

Read the MS technote regarding migration

Hope this helps

Great just what I searched MS for all day yesterday and couldn't find.

Send someone on training and keep your Linux BIND server. It might be more complicated but its a better solution than moving to MS DNS & AD on W2K3.

There are plenty of resources out there for BIND setups. Replace your Debian machine with openSUSE or SLES (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server). BIND is much more powerful , hence why its deployed on approx 70% of all DNS servers out there (that and its been around for a long long time)

Thanks Goverd,
I do have two Netware 6.x servers that will probably be rolled over. We were bought out and we are the only company they have with netWare on the WAN, so is just a matter of time until they pull that plug. I'm holding out as long as I can.
BlueCat is an interesting option also. I created an account and downl;oaded the Adonis pdfs. I may request a price quote after reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back