Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating data to a new computer - moving data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2003
US
Upgraded to a new computer with XP Pro. Old computer was running Win98. On the Win98 computer, I copied the folder with all the Paradox info (data) to a CD. Then loaded it to the new computer under My Documents. Loaded Paradox 8. The problem is that I can only see parts of the data. Stuff is missing. (and Yes the data on Win98 is all there and working fine.)

Is there a chance that data got lost after I loaded Paradox and should attempt to copy the data over again or is there more to it that I am missing?

Is there another folder that I should be looking for more data. I thought that everything should be in one location. If anyone else has any help on migrating data to another computer successfully I would sure appreciate the advice and help.

Thank You,
iblastrock

Hi, well it could be that the files you have copied over are read only? as they are off the cd. Or if you check the aliases (tools) then you might find the the location of other data, forms or queries.

You are talking about date, right? Not programs?

First of all, migrating data is much more easily done by setting up a work group with a cat5 cable. It sounds daunting, but it's pretty easy. You just make a new network connection in each computer. Name it "transfer". Make it a work group. No DNS. Look in my network places to open it. It will take a minute. Then go to your data files and copy.

Second: It is possible that some of the files you are transfering are hidden. YOu need only to change the settings.

Go to to tools> folder options > view tab. Under "files and folders" click "show hidden files and folders folders".

Click apply if there, or click ok, shut it. Eh voila, there they are.

An added note here. You can set your working directory in Paradox anywhere. Later versions of Paradox set it in the My Documents folder on the windows drive. Earlier put it in the Paradox folder.

Over the years I have found it advisable to keep it on a separate partition, or better yet, physical drive. If you have only one monster drive on your computer, you can easily install another, smaller one for data. (actually, I have two partitions on drive two, one for data and one for databases...cardscan, paradox, etc. Keeps things simpler)

The advantage of this is that there is no need to worry about which disk to use for reinstallation if windows or the program goes bad. You can pull the data/database drive out of the computer and upgrade. You can wipe drive one and do a total reinstall while your data is safe and sound on drive 2.

Drives are pretti cheap these days, and installing them is no longer the challenge it once was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back