Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrating an 8.0.5 database to 8.1.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBass

Technical User
Dec 21, 2000
DE
I've got an 8.0.5 database and want to upgrade it to 8.1.6. I've tried using the Database Migration Tool but that keeps failing. Is there a simple way to manually upgrade??

I wouldn't call it "simple" exactly, but one fairly reliable way to upgrade is to create a new 8i database, export the data from the 8.0.5 database, and import to the 8i db. The advantage of doing it this way is that you can do your database creation and configuration ahaead of time and then schedule a relatively brief outage to migrate the data.

In addition, remember to use the 8.0.5 tool to do the Export
not the 8.1.x one...

BTW, what type of failure--What errors if any do you get?

[profile]

Thanks for the suggestions.

The first error I was getting was ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error. This was because I was running it via Terminal Services so if anyone has any idea how to sort that out that would be helpful.

I then ran it from the console and after it flagged up a couple of unsupported params in the init.ora it finally flagged up the following ORA-01571: redo version 8.0.5.0.0 incompatible with ORACLE version 8.0.0.0.0

As this is the first time I've attempted anything like this I'm probably doing it all wrong. The problem is that the database I want to upgrade was created by an external company so if I had to recreate it in 816 I wouldn't know where to start. Add to that the fact I have never created an Oracle database, it leaves me pretty much stuck!

Hi,
The first error is becuse of connection problems. Use tnsping dbname and check out whether the connection is fine.
For second error You can refer to oracle release notes for that particular release.
Generally Your migration kit should not fail. Try running it again. Database migration is a very good tool to migrate. Thanks & Regards,
DoubleH

Your ORA-01571 indicates that the initialization parameter COMPATIBLE" is not set properly. Please check your init.ora file and see what it's currently set at. I would try setting it to 8.1.6.0.0 (or whatever version you are upgrading to) and see if that fixes the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back