Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migratepv on active lv 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkieffer

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2003
US
I think I know the answer to this one but hoping I'm wrong. I need to migratepv hdisk6 from a volume group for a complete disk swap (14 drives) on this RAID5 disk. I've been using migratepv -l moving lvs over to hdisk7. I've come down to 2 final lvs with file systems on them.

My question is can I do a migratepv -l on an lv with a file system that is active (meaning changing data). I'd prefer to do it this way rather keep the data static for 4-5 hours while these final lvs migrate to hdisk7.

I think I'm going to need to have these lvs static to do this but there doesn't seem to be anything from preventing me from doing it which makes me think this may work. All other lvs were static on migration. Any help is appreciated - Thanx!

DK

You can't migrate partitions of a lv between 2 different VG.
If they are in the same VG and all the PP of the LV are in hdisk6 you can execute:
mklvcopy -k lvname 2 hdisk7
rmlvcopy lvname 1 hdisk6

It says nothing about different VG's. Why do a lv copy and then an rmlv when a migratepv will accomplish this?

Is this your attempt to just have "your say?"

Look in the manual please.
It says specifically the disk HAVE TO BE in the same VG.
DK in his post says "I need to migratepv hdisk6 from a volume group" .... so I thought from a VG to another.
Dear flat ... I am not here to earn purple star ... only trying to be useful ....

Furthermore dear flat ... migratepv it's useful if you have to migrate only the PPs of one specific disk which could be splitted on several disk.
If you get a look to my post I say "If they are in the same VG and all the PP of the LV are in hdisk6" which excludes the situation stated upon.

I have no need to look in any AIX manual - after 9 years of AIX from 3.2.5 to 5.1 - it precludes the need for one, especially for something as simple as migratepv.

dkieffer, ignore the dickwaving. The answer is yes, you can migratepv a hot LV. migratepv creates a new mirror of the target LV then deletes the original.

Sorry to cause such a stir and confusion. Thanks for your replies.

What I meant by migratepv from the volume group was premature - what I should have said was migratepv, then reducevg which I need to do to break down the RAID disk. I got a bit ahead of myself there. Yes, hdisk6&7 are in the same vg.

OK so it sounds as though I'm safe to migratepv "online". My concern was that I would miss data that was coming in during the rmlvcopy step of migratepv. Sounds like I don't need to worry.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you guys get back to your bickering - Can't we all just get along ;-)

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back