Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofusjtf

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2004
US
Hello, I am looking for advice on the best way to move from Exchange 2000 Standard addition to a new Exchange 2003 server in the same domain. Is ADMT the way to go or Exmerge? Or is there a better way all together?

I am planning to build the new W2k3/Exchange2k3 server on a new box. It is how to best move the mailboxes that I am interested in?

You can only have one Exchange Organization in an AD forest. Are you planning on building an entirely new AD? If no, then just install the Exch2003 schema update, install Exch2003 into the same site as your existing Exch2000 and then do a mailbox move.

If you want to dump your current exchange and build a new one and reuse your AD you could.... Exmerge off all of the user mailboxes, remove Exch2000, remove Exch schema extensions, wait for replication, install Exch2003 schema extensions, install Exch2003, Exmerge import all of the mailboxes. Seems like a little too much effort though.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back