Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate users from group to group

Status
Not open for further replies.

allywilson

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
GB
Hi all,
As a bit of an OSX newb, I'm struggling with the concept of migrating all users in one group to another. Anyone know if this is possible? I'm using workgroup manager - but can't seem to find the option?

Any help appreciated!

hi,

have you been able to do this.... I am just thinking of something, could you export both groups you want to export/import the users from to a text file. Edit this text, copy the users from one group to the other, remove them from the initial group.
Import this file back into Workgroup manager. This should work i believe.

Kind regards,
Bench K.

I tried what you said (just in a text editor though), the only part that made any sense to me (the rest was LDAP and XML stuff) was the list of unix shortnames. Changed them - imported it back into Workgroup manager - no change I'm afraid.

Did you have any luck doing this?

Hi,

I just tried it now, it did not go for the first run then i checked and found this option in the import dialog box :'Duplicate handling".. by default the value is at 'Ignore new record', please change this to 'Overwrite existing records' then run the import it it should work. I just did it now.

Kind regards,
BK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back