Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate Standalone server to 2008 Hyper V

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanceja

MIS
May 23, 2002
US
Hopefully someone has an answer for this question. We are getting ready to deploy 2008 with HyperV. I know with VMWare they have a converter package that will take for an example a standalone application server and move to a virtual server. Is there a program out there that will do the same for 2008 HyperV?

Thanks

Lanceja,
Did you find an answer to this question? I am thinking about this as an option as well. We have several servers that are under utilized. We could consolidate some of the servers to 1 physical box and redeploy the freed up servers for other purposes.

We found a piece of software from Microsoft called Virtual Machine Manager for 2008. One module has a way of creating a VHD from a physical machine. We haven't used it yet but will see what happens. If I remember right the software goes for ~$1500. This includes 3 or 4 other modules dealing with managing Virtual Machines. Am not sure if the VHD from physical server is sold seperately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back