Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate Solaris NIS server to Linux NIS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ady2012

MIS
Jun 6, 2010
US
I would like to migrate Old NIS server on Solaris 8 to New NIS server on RHEL.Moving all NIS user and password also user profile.
Any suggestion to do this task ?
Thank

I dealt with NIS+, and we moved that to OpenLDAP ... but stayed on Solaris ... I'm not sure if any of my experience will help you, but if it does do feel free to ask.

I have googled it. Just added Linux server as NIS Slave server.I am not sure.After I added Linux server as NIS slave on Sun NIS master. Will NIS master(Sun Solaris) duplicate userid and password automatically to NIS Slave (Linux server)?
So I can turn off Sun and turn on Linux server as NIS master.
Any suggestion about it?

I know that with NIS+ that is what happened, when I stopped and restarted the nisplusd the data got pushed and I could watch the traffic flowing between the servers ...

My guess is that change a slave to a master in NIS is going to be a lot easier than in NIS+ ... I hope so :)

You meant shutdown Sun Server as NIS master. And run Linux server as NIS master.should I run ypinit -m linux-server to promote as NIS master?Because I didn't do this kind of migration before.

Yeah thats what i meant, I hope it's straight forward for you :)

The "authentication" in NIS+ was awful where each object had an owner that needed to be changed to the new server (which was hard if the master server had died, because you had to change the ownership on the master) and changing from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 seemed only to prove that we couldn't go back again :)

Our NIS+ died pretty much conclusively, after limping for a long time, and we've had to move to LDAP, which to be fair is much better but much less integrated into everything ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back