Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate profiles from 2k -> 2003 SBS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemhain

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2006
US
I'm handling the migration from Windows 2000 Small Business Server to Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server and having a bit of trouble with getting user profiles to migrate. I can get ADMT to move users, groups, and computer accounts, but when it attempts to move the profiles on those machines, the migration process on every machine stalls and fails to migrate the computer to the new domain.

I'll admit this is my first 2000 -> 2003 SBS migration, but I've followed the MS instructions to the letter and this one bit is holding me up.

Any suggestions?

If you are not using roaming profiles, look at this article by Harry Brelsford (
I've found the User Profile Registry Way to be quicker and easier, although if you have roaming profiles, the server based profile can end up overwriting the locally held original profile.

It's a bit of a pest touching each machine and profile but it does work!

Thanks, Mini.

As it turns out, Active Directory is so hosed on the source server that neither an ADMT or swing migration are possible. Somehow the Administrator account has lost some of its permissions and neither we nor Microsoft can figure out how to get them back.

Fortunately, ADMT will at least get us the user and computer accounts moved over, so we'll be using the registry method (probably the same one in the article you linked). Touching all the machines will indeed make for a painfully long weekend, but at least we'll have something to show for it.

Been there myself with a manual profile move, if you dot between machines it can be surprising quick. Two of us did about 50 machines over two sites in about six hours.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back