Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate local profiles to domain profiles?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverDrive

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2000
US
I have a set of 20 computers that were on a peer to peer network. I now am going to build a server based domain environment.

Everyone is very fone of the way all of their current local profile settings are established...

Is there any "easy" way to migrate the local profile settings into the newly created domain profile?

I am sure this is not a "new" question, but for the life of me I cannot find anything on the net about it??

Thanks in advance
Chance~

The method I'd use for this would be as follows:

Right-click on "My Computer", then select "Properties", select the "Advanced" tab, then click the "Settings" button in the "User Profiles" section. After this, you should be confronted with a listing of account profiles on your system. Simply highlight your old(local) account profile, then click the "Copy to" button. Then browse through the "documents and settings" directory structure until you locate the profile of your new(domain) account. Once selected, click "ok". This will initiate the copying of your old profile into your new account profile. Once completed, click the "Change" button in the "Permitted to use" field. Make sure that your new account has permissions to use this profile. After that, you are done.

As an added note, if any of your users have alot of data stored directly on the desktop or in their "My Documents" folder, you might want to temporarily relocate that data into a non-profile directory. The profile copying will go MUCH faster this way. In addition, in some cases (where hard drive space is low in relation to the size of a user's profile)this can prevent the complete failure of a profile copy.

Thanks for the tip!

I think it worked!!!

Chance~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back