Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate from Server 2003!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhetor22

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2020
US
Hello,
We are running Macola 7.8.400 and are on.... Server 2003! We would like to get this installed on Server 2016. I have some questions:
-Can we migrate to SQL Express or is the full product required?
-Is migrating from SQL2005 to SQL2012 just a matter of detach/attach, or are there special steps?
-The digital signature is revoked on the software, is there a resolution for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What SQL version are you using now?

Moving from SQL 2000 to 2012 or newer is a multiple step process. You must first move to SQL 2005 or 2008, then change the database compatibility setting, then upgrade to SQL 2019. I would do this by restoring a backup rather than detaching and attaching.

I would not use SQL express under any circumstances - too many limitations.

I am not sure what you mean by "The digital signature is revoked on the software". Are you talking SQL or Macola here?

Macola Software Veteran and SAP Business One Consultant on Training Wheels

Check out our Macola tools:

Thanks dgilz for your response! Weare currently on SQL2005. I've tried to restore a Database backup onto a new version of SQL Server- initially things look good, but cannot log in with any user accounts as it will say passwords are invalid. Perhaps I need to update compatibility settings first. Understood regarding SQL Express, not a problem- we'll get SQL Standard. Fr digital signature, I am talking about the Macola Progression Explorer client.

Right click Maola32 -> Properties. Digital Signatures tab. Click Details button. It will say the certificate was explicity revoked. This caused a lot of issues with a recent workstation installation as Windows Security would block the program from running. I hope this helps to clarify.

Did you do anything with the PWE, Screens and msllockdb databases? These must all be present for Macola to work. Screens in particular is where the passwords and security are stored.

I am afraid I cannot add anything to the revoked digital signatures issue, I have never seen this before. It sounds like a virus protection issue.

Are you current on your annual maintenance to ECI? You are going to have a tough time upgrading if not.

The only thing I did with PWE, Screens, msllockdb were to back them up from the old server and restore onto the new. If it helps, the software version is 7.8.400. My client is not current on maintenance contract unfortunately. This is sort of a "helping out a friend" client and their systems/infrastructure are far more dated than what I would typically take on! Hoping to get them more current.

The certificate issue is virus protection, and oddly if the network is trusted local it seems to stop complaining. It seems that the certificate used for the installer folder has been revoked, which understandably causes some OS complaints!

They need to pay their maintenance. They will never be able to use a windows 10 workstation or a version of SQL newer than 2012 without it. Please make sure you know the difference between maintenance and support. Maintenance covers software changes for windows 10, SQL 2019, and Macola upgrades. Support is different.

In any case, they will need to reinstate maintenance.

I agree. Thank you for your input! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back