Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migrate from Legato Networker 7.1 to TSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

nohandleisworking

Technical User
Jun 24, 2004
US
hi,

we have to start using IBM TSM server in a few months.
i have to migrate all of my legato NetWorker tape savesets to TSM format tapes.

Is there a script out there that will help automate this. i use solaris 8 right now, but we will probably buy an IBM AIX server with TSM server on it to do this.

thanks

The only way to migrate from Legato to TSM is to restore your Legato tapes to the TSM server Storage Pool and then back up the data using TSM.

TSM uses a proprietary format on tape which is not recoverable unless you restore the TSM database and volhist files.

Hi,

I am not familiar with the TSM Storage pool - are you saying all tapes must be basically restored to disk and then arechived again? (Forgot to mention- these are all archive type tapes and clones of those archives so none of them are multiplexed.)

This would seem rather time consuming to do maually for each tape. let's say i write a script to restore all of the Legato tapes to online disk, then is there a simple command in TSM that will sweep the disk daily and then make archive's of everything in there?

Yes. TSM's primary function is to backup to disk first, so if you create some free space to restore the entire tape to it, then back up that data with TSM it will be logged into TSM's catalog for future restores.

If you have no experience with TSM, I highly advise reading all the Redbooks on it prior to using it. It is not a standard backup suite and requires you to be knowledgeable of the product or you will get yourself into a ton of trouble.

thx,

but for clarification, you said backup. In Legato there is a world of difference between doing backups and doing archives. I wich to do archiving with annotations. Is there a similar feature in TSM.
Again I am not so interested in doing daily backups of say servers but I have specific data that I need grouped and archived daily. I Legato there are also easy to use restore/retrieve GUI's so many regular users can restore their own archives and they can look up the archives by there are tons of relevant data put into the annotations to help search archives. I run mostly Sun Solaris and that's where all the data lives or on the SAN.

Why don't you just leave the tapes where they are, and keep a server handy in case you need to recover the archived data ?
It don't have to be a powerfull machince or anything.
It will save you the whole migration process and make it easy to find again.

Yes, there is archiving with TSM but the terminology is different.

Hi nohandleisworking,

why are you migrating from legato to tivoli,
We are actually in search for a backup software and will make a choice between legato and tivoli.

Baanman

We are migrating because at the enterprise level they use Tivoli and want all the other departments to use the same thing so that we can eventually centralize backups through one service. Keeping Legato is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back