Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Migrate from Exchange 5.0 SP2 to Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZRLA

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
DK
Hi...

I wish to upgrade from Exchange 5.0 SP2 to Exchange 2000 (New Small Business Server 2000).

I have read all the above threads plus the MS articles. And I know pretty much how to approach it. But none of the articles or guides I can find describes how to upgrade from Exchange 5.0 to Exchange 2000. The articles I can find describes either upgrading from 5.0 to 5.5 or 5.5 to 2000.

I want to use the Migration Wizard which also is in Exchange 5.0 SP2, but I'm not sure it will work since the Exchange 2000 SP3 Migration Wizard only can convert Exchange 5.5 exports... Or have I gotten something wrong?

Any advice or tips are welcome

Thnx in advance

//FZRLA

=====================================================================

marcs41 (IS/IT--Manageme) Mar 20, 2003
Please make a new post next time, since your question is not relevant to this topic. No-one will look for a 5.0 question in a 5.5 post.

Meanwhile, ...

version 5.5 is a necessary intermediary step to move to Exchange Server 2000.
Exchange Server 2000 can connect and share data with the 5.5 version, allowing for a smooth transition to the new version once it is released -- but only if your server has been upgraded to 5.5.

Also read:

(read through to description of Figure 9)

If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc

Thnx for your answer Marcs41...

I have read the article a couple of times and it has helped me understand a few things.

But what I don't understand is that I can move the mailboxes from an Exchange 5.0 to an Exchange 2000. But they don't support each other?! So all the public folders etc. I can't move over unless I upgrade the Exchange 5.0 to an Exchange 5.5???

Only 5.5 can go to 2000. Why? That is something to ask MS.
That's just the way it is, no choice, sorry.
But, upgrading to 5.5 is a snap, don't worry. [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back