Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migrate files and folders 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhangl

MIS
Jun 17, 2002
CN
Hi,

I need to migrate files and folders from one drive to another drive, which are in the same W2K server. And I want to keep the regional security settings. Anytime, when I copy or cut the files to the target drive, they inherit the target drive's permission settings.

Could you tell me a easy way to get it.

Thanks,
Jerry

Matt,

Is there some software can do that?
Thanks,
Jerry

Cool! I find the solution.
The utility XXCopy can move files and folders to the target drive with the regional security settings.

Thanks,
Jerry

You can accomplish just what you're looking for and a lot more in a couple of ways. One would be to use the Resource Kit tool 'Robocopy' with the /sec switch, among others.

Also, you could make use of our good old DOS friend, XCOPY with the /O command, copying any ownership and ACL information along with it. All of the other cool switches are still there - so you can copy the entire structure of a tree and then re-apply the ownership and ACLs. For example:

xcopy d:\myfiles\*.* e:\newmyfiles /e /h /o

will copy all files (including hidden / system) from d:\myfiles to e:\newmyfiles, including the security information.

Cool, huh? :)

Rick Kingslan MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert
Expert Zone -

Great! How can I forget the XCopy?

Thanks, Rick.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor