Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migrate bdc to new machine with same name

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilpadrino

MIS
Feb 14, 2001
US
Any suggestions for how I can accomplish this with minimal downtime? I'd like to bring the new machine onto the network, then remove it so we can begin to copy data over. While we are copying data and installing apps, the old one should be in use.

Then we would just have a simple cutover to the new one when we're satisfied all services work properly. (this includes IIS and SQL 7.0 with several databases)

This is exactly what I've been doing with our company's PDC for the past two weeks. See my thread here: thread55-296021 bring the new machine on as a BDC, install all needed programs, copy all files over, and then take a look at my plan in the above post.

i would look into 2 options:
1. Norton Ghost clone the old server to the new. There will be problems with drivers however if hardware is not the same
2. Desktop DNa a great on the fly cloning app.
take a look at there products Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back