Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

migrate alias from the disabled user to the active user

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Dec 29, 2005
US
Hi, can anyone please tell me how to migrate the alias from the disable user to the active user, I am running exchange 2003 server on win 2003 server.

Many thanks,
-Steve

Manually edit the properties of the one user and remove the SMTP address. Then add it to the other user.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I would like to know what are the prior steps or things I need to aware of before I transfer from current ISP to other ISP? I know that I need to aware of the IP change and it will effect my email server as well as my internet connectivity. I appreciate your advice.

Many Thanks,

-Steve

You seem to have shifted gears here.

So is you new question what do you need to do to prepare for an ISP change?

You will first want to set your MX records TTL value to the lowest you can. That way you won't loose any email. Verify you can get into and update your DNS before the switch.

Change your MX record to your new IP address when that is live. If you use NAT, be sure to update that as well.

If the server has been configured with a Smart Host entry then update that.

Update your internal DNS with the new ISP DNS on the Forwarders tab of the DNS Snap-In.

That should be all you need to worry about unless you also need to move your public web site.

Regards,

Mark

Pat's reference is a good one but does not mention the TTL value. I highly advise you configure that a day or 2 before your switch. The TTL is the Time To Live value. ANyone that has sent you mail keeps a cached copy of where to find your MX record. That cached copy expires based on the TTL. Typically it is 24 hours. So by setting it to say 15 minutes the people that send you mail the most will get your updated MX record faster than if they wait for the default TTL to expire.

You want to set the new TTL ahead of time by at least the value in the current TTL so that all old cached values will expire on the old TTL time and get the 15 minute time. When you switch over, any sending system that can't reach you will retry and should get the new IP.

Regards,

Mark

since I have a hosting company does my DNS, then they have to update the DNS on their end, because my internal domain ends with .local, is this true? The only thing I need to do on my end will be edit the NAT on my firewall, and the rest has be to done by my hosting company. Please advice.

Many Thanks,
-Steve

That's somewhat true. They (the hosting company) needs to update the A record and the TTL.

The ISP (which is probably a different company), needs to create/update the reverse DNS entry.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back