Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MIE mail program

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdmannn

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
US
Whenever I click on a "mailto" link in MIE it opens about 40 new versions of MIE. Under Tools, Programs the only choice is Microsoft Outlook Express. I use Outlook Express for a mail program and this is not one of the choices.

How do I allow Outlook Express to be my default mail handler when that choice is not available? You can only select Microsoft Outlook or blank and in either case the 40 popups of MIE comes up whenever a mailto link is clicked on.

In OE, try going to the 'Tools' menu and selecting 'Options'. There is a checkbox here called 'Make Outlook Express my default mail client'

Did anyone find an answer to this? When I click on a mailto: link I get 67 MIE windows opening.

I've tried to set OE as default Mail handler using Tools etc. but although it applies change, when I go back into Tools OE is shown as NOT default Mail handler again - so that doesn't work.

I've gone into Internet Options to try to set default e-mail program but the drop down box is blank and there are no options so it won't let me change anything there.

I've also looked at registry key .....\Client\Mail and that shows Outlook Express as default and no other entries.

I don't believe I have any other mail clients installed on my machine, which is XP Home.

Can anyone help please?

Paul

. Go to Start | Run and type the following:
"C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /reg
(Check the path to msimn.exe to make sure that is correct)

Then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools | Internet Options | Programs and set OE as the default mail (and news) program.

. Second, Go to View (or Tools) | Folder Options | File Types in Windows Explorer and check the values for URL:MailTo Protocol (click edit, open, edit). If that type does not exist, then create a new type with the description being "URL:MailTo Protocol". The values should read:

application:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /mailurl:%1
(Check the path to msimn.exe to make sure that is correct)

I finally solved the problem by talking to Microsoft. There was NO Outlook Express default in the registry to choose from.

This lady told me to enter a "run" command to put outlook express default back in the registry. I don't remember what the command was but it might have been "msimn.exe /reg and click OK"

If this doesn't work, you can contact her personally and ask her. It sure would be nice to have a copy of these "run" commands that Microsoft keeps secret all the time. Anyway, here is her contact information:

Deepti Batra
Platforms Support Desktop
Microsoft Corporation
Phone: (425) 635-3311

Thanks,

Dan

I did what bcastner suggested and everything is now working

thanks

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search