Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Midi error on startup. How do I fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuCOng

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
GB
I've put my old mobo in my 2nd PC and everything is fine but the sound.

I get an error on startup and the add new hardware wizard starts. I can cancel it and still have sound but midi won't play.

my mobo is a Microstar and I've DL'd the drivers for the soundchip but this doesn't do anything. When I 1st got the machine with the mobo it never needed drivers on disk reformats - I don't see why it's changed exept that this HD was used with the old mobo (now in the bin).

Can anyone shed some light?

What is the error message? If this is a creative card you will need to download one of the midi wave table files. Also its usually a bad idea to cancel the add new hardware wizard.

The error message is:

The SoundBlaster AudioPCI 128 driver cannot load MIDI waveset. MIDI playback disabled.

I realise that the Hardware Wizard is for the Voice Modem but as my brother lent the installation disk to a friend and the modem obviously works (I'm using it now!) I'm ignoring it for the time being.

Go to creative.com and download one of the midi wavesets. Put it in your C:\windows\system directory. Open the device manager, choose properties of the sound card .Point it to the new wavetable file.

For Windows 98 (it's the bottom two links under software)

For Windows 95
(same two links)

Eapci4m.zip
4 Megabyte Waveset for SB PCI 16/64/128
Revision: n/a
Date: 5/15/1998 Size: 4.87 MB

Eapci8m.zip
8 Megabyte Waveset for SB PCI 16/64/128
Revision: n/a
Date: 5/15/1998 Size: 8.1 MB

Those should fix the error message.

Status