Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS R1T1: Adding VOIP line? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHaney

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2005
CA
I've been doing alot of digging on this site, and through google and have found that some people have successfully added a VOIP line to their MICS. I'd like to jump on the bandwagon!

I have an R1T1 with 11 external lines at the moment, and would like to get a Vonage line for #12 (good for testing, will re-eval if management wants more than 2 later). From what I understand if I wire the Vonage VOIP router into the PBX it will appear as a standard "POTS" line, is this correct?

My main issues with doing this right now revolve around locating where to punch in the 12th line. I've had a look at the wiring rats nest, poorly labelled at best, can anyone provide some hints for tracing these?

Lastly, the guide I've found for adding a new line requires the "system line number" that I can get from my installer... Is there any way of figuring this out before calling our vendor? I'd love to learn how to do this myself if at all possible.

the vonage line should work fine...you will not get caller id with out a cid trunk cartridge and you will never see the second calls caller id ever on said inbound trunk...the demarc for your telco should have 1 side going to your equipment to have a 11 line system means you have a trunk module with at least 1 card the cross connect goes 2 on 2 off 2 on 2 off...2 prs x-connected then 2 prs skipped...find that and you should be ok...once installed and hooked up to system just program it

Ok so far so good. I found two blocks as per your description, one with 8 lines and one with 4 (I assume this would correspond with the 4+4 lines reported on TM2 and 4 lines on TM8).

I'm going to try and trace each of these 12 lines back to the demarc to find which one is the 12th line that is inactive... Just in case, is there any easier way to identify them?

if you only have 12 they are number 1-4,25-28,and 49-52..you would think that line 12/52 is the one that is dead and to be replaced with the vonage line

Ok, I think I've found the wires, when I get a chance to I'll punch in a standard handset to confirm that it is dead before going any further.

My end goal is to have the vonage lines used only for outgoing long distance (NA & Europe). Can this be done by routing or will I have to restrict LD access on Pool A and set the vonage line(s) up for Pool B and give people access to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back