Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS fiber extender, need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontrealSoft

Vendor
Oct 5, 2002
CA
Hi,

Customer has 2 buildings separated by a street. We have 25 pairs from the telco joining the 2 buildings, enabling us to have the MICS on one side of the street and half the sets on the other side. Pairs are starting to fail and the telco isn't very cooperative, since that 25 pair cable is not even documented in their system.

We had fiber installed between both buildings a few years ago for the computer network, and we have free fibers (using 2 out of 6).

I would like to use that option to bring a 16 sets module on the other side of the street, to eventually stop depending on that 25 pairs.

I remember seeing active adaptors that would convert the MICS fiber to ST/SC fiber (can't find them anymore). Anyone has experience with this ? Any suggestions ?

(yeah, I know it's an old system, but it's still working and will probably work for another 20 years).

Thanks !

MontrealSoft.com

I haven't seen the solution that you are talking about, where you could actually have a 16 port station module remote from the main system. But I have used MCK extenders to allow me to run digital sets remote from the main system across a network connection and they work quite well. You would need a set of extenders one unit goes at the equipment end and the other goes at the far end. If you google MCK extenders there are a few places online that sell them. I think that most of the units available are refurbished.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back