Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS Cold Restart SYSID changed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheldondon

Programmer
Sep 19, 2013
US
I have heard of this happening before but this is the first time for me. I was changing out a COMBO card on a MICS 7.0 with an active PRI and replacing it with a 2 port fiber card.

When I powered up the system it went into a COLD STARTUP. I had backed up the entire system via the NRU before taking it down and when I went to RESTORE it the restore utility said there was an error.

I had several copies of previous backup from this system and each said the same thing about a mismatched file. I had the PRI keycodes but when I started it up again the SYSID changed.

Is there anything I can do to get the old SYSID back so I can reinput the PRI keycodes?

Could I somehow get the backup to restore to correct this issue.

Thank you!

Changing the combo card for the 2-port card is what cold started the system. Anytime you downgrade expansion cards or software the system will default and the system ID will change. You should be able to restore the backup by putting the combo card back. I doubt this will restore the PRI Enabler since the system ID has changed.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Yes this was a real pain. I just can't imagine why the system has to react like that almost penalizing you for making a minor mistake like that. I just don;t understand the logic behind changing the SYSID it makes no sense. I have read on this site and on the web that it has cased a lot of misery for a lot of customers not counting the expense.

Thanks!

P.S. Here is the strange thing, the SYSID did not change until I tried to restore the file that I had backup right before I took out the card. I tried about 3 or 4 times to restore and the SYSID was the same. It was not until doing this a few times that it locked up and required a COLD START.

Getting it to restore is what really bothers me. If this happens in the future I am concerned that my backups again will not work. I have restored before with no problem but this time it would not take the file I just kept getting errors.

Oh one more thing I read. There was a post on here theorizing that the SYSID's if changed enough times would eventually circle back to their original ID and that there may only be a few in each cycle for each system. What do you think about this? Is there a way that you know of to cause the system to change it's own SYSID. Something must cause it to do that. Perhaps installing and pulling out the COMBO card which may simulate the upgrade and downgrade which caused the problem in the first place?

Interesting???

A restore will only work if the system is identically configured to the state it was in when the backup was performed. A cold start will always jump the system ID. I have no idea why Nortel designed it this way. The BCM won't change system ID no matter what.

I don't quite understand why you swapped for a 2-port card when you need the timing for the PRI that a combo card provides.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Cold starting the system changes the system ID. Putting the 6-port combo back in and then putting in the 2-port card will force the system ID to change. I recall a post by curlycord where he experimented with this. If memory serves he jumped the system ID about 10 times and it never cycled back to the original. I hope you have time and patience if you try this route. I'll be most interested to hear if this works.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

It was a mistake about taking out the COMBO card, I just did not realize that it was needed for timing and I was taking ot the NAM from service and using a Call PIlot and had not need for the fiber any longer. OH well ya live and learn

I have read some posts that Avaya should be able to help issuing a new pri keycode.

Yes
Call your local vendor and have them put in in a ticket with Avaya to have the key changed to the new sysid

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Yes and a BIG thanks to Brian Cox at Georgia Telephone for all his help getting me connected to AVAYA support to quickly get the new SYSID's PRI Keycodes reissued. I highly recommend Brian for his support with Nortel / Avaya here is his contact information below.

Thank Brian!

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back