Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS 7.1 rebooting randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpzan

Technical User
May 14, 2016
US
My customer's got a MICS with 7.1 software. They're complaining about the system freezing up and rebooting at random times. They say it started a couple of weeks ago every couple of days and now it's doing it every day.

I checked all the power connections. The MICS is plugged into the same power strip as their data equipment. The customer says they've had no trouble with their data equipment. Yesterday I unplugged the MICS and plugged it into a different outlet on the power strip to see if that would help.

I checked the alarm log and all the alarms appear to be related to the telco network. The telco is delivering the customer's PRI via fiber connected to a telco provided Cisco router. The DTI is patched into the router.

Question - can telco equipment trouble cause the MICS to reboot?

Thanks.

Do you know if trouble in the telephone company's equipment can cause the MICS to reboot?

All the phone sets go completely dead with no display. Then all the lamps on all the phones begin flashing for a couple of minutes. The phone sets then become operational again. Just like when the system is powered down and back up.

The system is completely dead this morning. I'm going to replace the power supply first.

The system consists of a MICS cabinet, an NVRAM cartridge, 7.1 software card, a DTI and a 6 port fiber combo card.

If replacing the power supply doesn't clear the trouble, I'll replace the NVRAM.

Will the system coldstart if I replace the NVRAM? I've heard a coldstart could change the System ID and I don't want to lose the PRI keycode.

I was thinking it sounded like the PS was on it's way out.
If that does not resolve then it's the KSU.

Replacing anything else will not work is the system went dead.

Add me to LinkedIN

**New Allworx Forum**

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Thanks.

The system was running again when I arrived at the customer site this morning but was in default. I went ahead and replaced the power supply and began reprogramming it. Fortunately it's a very small system with only 8 phones, a fax and a cordless.

After reloading the PRI keycode and programming a target line and dial 9 access, I tested incoming and outgoing calls.

I could call out okay but when I tried to call in the system would answer with dial tone like a DISA call. There was no DISA programmed though. I tried different target lines set to ring different phones and none of them would ring. The system would answer every call with DISA dial tone.

Power cycling the system no help. Finally I replaced the KSU, reprogrammed it and so far everything's working fine.

Very strange the system would answer with DISA dial tone with no DISA programming. Never seen that before.

The system may appear to have default but maybe not all and why doing a STARTUP would have completely wiped out everything including corruption, problem is the sysid would change then you would need a new Enabler code.
Changing the card to Loop then back to PRI in programming might have helped clear that dial tone issue.
System Programming/Access Codes/Auto DN maybe a culprit and is turned ON

It also does not appear that the system went totally dead as thought.....just the sets did not work but there was still a power light.

So your KSU may still be good.

Add me to LinkedIN

**New Allworx Forum**

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

You might consider downloading the configuration with a RAD Device. You can upload it to the KSU if it loses memory.
You can also save to a spreadsheet for your reference.
You can charge for the service and the RAD of course.

#1 you are right and it is not said to not do it.
However there was some software I forget which one/s that were problematic.

I recall did one on a 5.0 and it changed on me.

This would be corruption no doubt.

Add me to LinkedIN

**New Allworx Forum**

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back