Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS 6.1 to 6.1XC Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

salcaide

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2007
US
My system is maxed out, so I bought an XC card. This should allow me to add an additional 6 port fiber card and add more 0x16's. Do I need to 'upgrade' the switch, or can I just power it down, swap cards, and power it back on to get the existing stuff working again? All the compatibility charts tell me that my NAM II VM 4.1.04E won't work with the 6.1 I have now (but it does). I have a NAM II with these codes on it:
NTSB74AF-93 A0681493
REL 02 2/16/98
VM 3.0 MOD 2MS
NVM 4.0.04E

My current system card shows:
A054915
NA MICS
DR 6.1 MR FC

My new system card shows:
N0014647 2004/11/03
NT7B66DR REL 01
USA-MICS-XC 6.1 MR FC
Made in Canada 2006/05

I could not find a link anywhere on how to backup my MICS.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

You will lose programming when you swap the software so you will want to download NRU 11 from Nortel.

Nortel Remote Utilities is the tool that allows you to interface with the MICS using a FastRAD to do programming and backups

If you are going from R6.1 to R6.1-XC you should not lose programming. First power off, upgrade your software, power back on. After the system boots up completely, power off again, add the second 6-port expansion, power back on.

As the previous post stated you will need NRU 11 and a FastRAD to backup programming.

Brian Cox

You shouldn't lose programming going from 6.1 to 6.1 XC. Tips for upgrading software.
Prior to swapping software.

****BACKUP SYSTEM********
1-Make sure Set Relocation is set to N
2-Disable expansion Modules in Maintenance
3-Unplug Amphenols from Modules
4-Power Down
5-Replace Software
6-Power up
7-Enable Expansion Modules/Plug Amphenoles back in

After all this is done and system has reset. Then you can power down and install 6 Port Fiber. DO NOT DO BOTH AT SAME TIME!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back