Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS 6.1 dropping calls on hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rconn

Instructor
Mar 19, 2002
CA
Hi all,

I looking for any thoughts on my problem, but first the long history.

Customer had originally a MICS with 2 DS cards, 2 port expansion card with 1 0x16 and 1 0x8 ATM. Installed by the telco with a CDA MICS XC 4.1 G00 which was a very buggy release. Calls drop, can't transfer calls etc. At some point I became involved and installed a CP150 it seems to work well. At some point they tell about the problems with call dropping and I find out about the buggy SW (10 years after it was installed).

Since then I have upgraded the customer to MICS XC 6.1 (30C0G05) with a Rls 2 sleeve. The situation improved greatly but some problems continued. Somewhere along the line I have replaced the KSU and line cards. They still have the original 2 port expansion card and 0x16. I disconnected the 0x8 ATM as it was not used. The problems continued. As the software upgrade was done as an upgrade, I went back and did a restart on the system and programed from scratch. Problems continue.

The telco have checked the lines? The biggest problem is that calls will drop while on hold and it happens on multiple lines. The receptionist has had the system put a call on hold when another line started to ring (very intermittent). They have 8 lines with line appearances on all sets (Approx. 40 sets). I would not have done it that way but they do not want to change. The majority of the telephones are original.

The current problem may not be related to the original SW problem.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you

I would take a 2, 3 or 4 line phone, connect the lines to this phone only and call in and put the call on hold using that phone, this will prove to the telco or the phone system.

6.1 is buggy, go to 6.1MR or 7.1 final and best release.

Have an electrician check the outlet's grounding, or plug the KSU into another source using an ext cord if need to a good grounded outlet.
It should be a dedicated outlet isolated ground.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I agree with curley, there is 1 more rls of 6.1 that fixed the issues it ends in G10. The G05 that you have did have issues with dropped call or just go to 7.1.

Hi and thanks for for all the input.

I will be going down late next week to look at things. There is a voltage problem that is hard to contain. The customer is across the road from a streetcar yard and the voltage will often go above 145 volts at night and normally runs near 130 volts during the day. I had a meter log the voltage for 2 weeks a few years ago as the UPS was shutting down almost every night. I believe it was trying to limit the voltage and would overheat. I have since replaced the UPS with a unit with a little more latitude in the operating voltage and have not had problems since. I will double check the voltages and grounds again. As a note, they had a new transformer installed several years ago to help with the problem as it was affecting their computers.

I am leaning to the software solution and will replace with a better release. The only problems I could find with the early versions of 6.1 seem to relate to PRI, but it not stretch to see there could be other issues. I have a meter that can log line activity and more important, will log a disconnect signal. I will leave it on for a week and see if anything is logged. It is difficult as the only person willing to keep any notes is the receptionist, others are not inclined to note time of call and line to assist in the investigation.

Thanks again and I will post back any news.

Try turning off disconnect supervision, if the calls stop dropping the telco is sending random disconnect signals. This happened to me a few years back. Only downside to this is if you have vmail, the boxes might record reorder tone in them until the co drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back