Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microstrategy Implementation ?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxzzzzzz

Programmer
Jul 10, 2002
US
Looking for information on what everyone did for their initial MSTR implementation (Microstrategy versus consulting firm implementing). We are very close to a decision, and we just want to get opinions.....

THanks!

We had consultants initially but Microstrategy consultants know the tools better ususally. One important thing to remember is to make sure that who ever is designing the data model works closely with whoever sets up Microstrategy. There are some things that require someone with intimate knowledge of Microstrategy especially concerning aggregate tables and certain design restrictions that should be taken into consideration when designing the model.

Thanks!! Actually we already had our "pre-sales" consultant and two tech guys from Microstrategy in last week (we are in the process of building our data warehouse, and the data model is not yet set in stone). They gave us some great suggestions on the setup of our date elements to assist us with doing easier transformations. So far (we are in our 2nd month of demo) they have been wonderful!! I really think we are looking at consultants to do the install though considering pricing. :eek:)

There are a lot of offsrpings from Microstrategy in the last couple of years. Many senior people leaving MSTR have formed specialized, niche, consulting practices doing Microstrategy consulting from a BI implementation prespective. You might wanna look at some of these firms in order to get similar quality of consulting work but at a reasonalble price.

Great comments aabid...

One of the great things about the tek-tips forum is that it has remained focused on asking and solving technical questions, and it definitely hasn't turned into a job board...we're treading on thin ice in this board if everyone that knew of independent contractors, ex-MicroStrategy employees, etc. started posting their services here. I think the best bet is to work with your MicroStrategy sales consultants and perhaps even ask them to refer you to a systems integrator, independent MicroStrategy consulting firm etc. in your area.

I will say this - the conusultants who are still with MicroStrategy tend to be fantastic and well worth the money (especially the ones who stuck through the hard times).

To that end and to echo aabid's point, the restructurings of the last couple of years led many highly talented employees to go out on their own...there are at least ten niche firms out there packed with ex-MSTR folks, and their rates tend to be lower than the MicroStrategy consulting rates. The level of consulting won't be that far from the MicoStrategy consultants, although they won't have access to the internal information and resources...

Good luck.

Thanks for the info all. We are dealing directly with MSTR, so I'll make sure not to post anything else that isn't a direct tech "how do I do this" question....

Consider the posting closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back