Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft XP VPN Connected. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtz32

Programmer
Jul 28, 2004
US
I am trying to connect to my office from home. They are both using windows xp.

1. On my office computer, I am behind a netgear router but I have opened 1723 & 3389 for PPTP & Remote Desktop.

2. On my office computer I have enabled remote desktop connections and have created an "Incoming connection (VPN)" in network connections.

3. On my home computer I have created a new VPN connection which connects to my office IP address.

4. When I try to connect to the VPN connection I just created on my home computer, a window pops up asking for user name and password, and I enter them in as they are on my office.

5. Windows connects to my computer and a new network icon appears in the task tray confirming that a new VPN connection has been established...

So how do I see my files now? In windows explorer or network places, I dont see the name of my office computer, only the computers that are at my house, but not my office.

How exactly do you access the remote computer with windows VPN? I would think you would do it through windows explorer right?

Also, both my office workgroup and home workgroup are the same "MSHOME". Does this make a difference? should they be differnt?

Let me know what I need to do...

Blessings

Joe

this may help. quoted from
How to browse via incoming connection

Assuming you don't have DNS, WINS or other name resolution option to resolves NetBIOS names, you should use IP to browse the remote computers after establishing the connection. To do this, you need to find the IPs by double-clicking the VPN connection icon>Details. This will give you the "virtual" IP allocated to both machines. Then use net use command to map the remote computer. If you get access denied error, try to add /user:username option to cache credentials.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Now in English:

You opened up 3389, so forget the VPN and just Remote Desktop to your office PC.

However, for the VPN, once you establish the VPN connection you should be able to go to START, Run.., and enter \\192.168.1.10 and browse that way. (Replace the above IP with the IP of the machine you want to access.)

Ok, I clicked on the "Details" Tab in the properties of the VPN icon.

It came up with the 2 IP address' at the bottom...

Server IP address 192.168.0.9
Client IP address 192.168.0.8

When I try to connect to \\192.168.0.9 I get this message "Windows cannot find "\\192.168.0.9". Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start button and then clicking Search."

When I try to connect to \\192.168.0.8, I get my computer from home (the one I am currently on).

So I figure that it is 192.168.0.9 that I am trying to connect to... When i use the net use command it shows the computers on my home network but not my office network...

I try the following command...

> net use \\192.168.0.9 /user:lstorm

I get the following response...

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

Am i getting closer? Thanks for the help so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back