Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft.XMLHTTP - cross bowser compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onressy

Programmer
Mar 7, 2006
CA
Would i have cross borwser issues with posting xml file to remote server via:
set xml = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")

thanks

If this is on the server -- that is, it's in ASP code, not in some on-page HTML or Javascript -- you won't have any problem at all. ASP runs everything you tell it to and then just sends HTML to the browser, so the browser never even sees the object.

On the other hand, if that is client-side code then your first problem is that non-IE browsers aregoing to ignore the VBScript.

If your looking at doing that in javascript and need a method that works for all three browsers, then look for examples that use Microsoft.XMLHTTP and XMLHttpRequest objects. The second one is the name of an object added to Mozilla browsers in the past few years.

In doing client-side AJAX-y stuff I generally have an if check that determines whihc of the objects it can use, then builds the corrct one for the browser and uses that for communications. I'd post an example, but the only one I could think of that had public access is just requesting additional pieces of HTML from the server at 30 second intervals and inserting them into a div.

-T

signature.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back