Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

microsoft word keeps crashing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackthunda77

Technical User
Sep 14, 2004
US
i have a really big and annoying problem. i use micorsoft word xp frequently and now i have the problem that it always crashes when i try to use it. i trired reinstalling the software, i tried aservice pack everytihng!!!! what else can i do cuz i really need this program. i also tried using word 2000, and it did the same thing. is there a poblem on my comp,? and what can i do???

Could you please state a bit more detail?

Does it crash on opening?
Does it crash on closing?
Does it crash when you try to save a file?

Be specific.

If you have done a complete uninstall, and reinstall, you may also want to try the post above suggestion about deleting normal.dot. But also run winword.exe with the /r switch, as in winword.exe /r.

Do this from a command line prompt. You may have to navigate the command-line to the proper folder, as these days Windows does not have the folder in the PATH variable - it uses the Registry. However, you do it, naviagte so you can use the /r switch. This runs Word and re-registers it in the Registry.

Other than that, we need more details. A general sttement that Word crashes is not enough information.

Gerry

contains complete steps toward troubleshooting Word. Many people can't FIND their normal.dot file because Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, decided to make it a hidden file. That is also described at the link under "Normal Dot WHAT?"

Excel VBA Certification is Finally Here!

sorry for my lack of details, im not very technically inclined. i signed up to this site to see if i can get some help. word freezes whenever it wants, sometimes when i try to paste something, sometimes when i open a document, sometimes when im just doing work in it. theres no specific time.

Okay. So can you try the steps provided at the link I posted and let us know how they work? That includes, in particular, beginning with renaming your normal.dot file.

i cant get into my normal.dot file. i think i would need a more details walk through. thanks. i did what fumei said with the winword.exe. but i dont think i did the noram.dot part right.

OK.

Step 1. Make sure that Windows Explorer has hidden files NOT hidden. In Windows Explorer, select Tools > Folder Options > View. Make sure "Show hidden files" is ON.

Step 2. You do not give details on what OS you are using, nor what version of Word you are using. We can not read minds. These are the sort of details we need. I will assume you are using Windows XP, and, say, Word XP (Word 2002). In Windows Explorer, select Search from the toolbar.

Step 3. In the block for "Search for files or folders named:" - put in "normal.dot", without the quotation marks. In the drop down "Look in:" , select C:. This may be named Local Disk, or something else, but it will show the drive letter C:. Click Search.

Step 4. In the Search Result pane, on the right, rename EVERY instance of normal.dot that comes up. There may be more than one. To rename, right click the item, select rename, and type in a new name. It does not matter what it is renamed.

Step 5. Run winword.exe /r again.

Step 6. Load (open) Word.

Try a bunch of things and if it crashes, record as much detail as possible. Let us know what happens.

Gerry

ok, i tried it a couple times but its not finding the file. by the way yes i am using windows xp and office xp

If you can open Word at all, there MUST be a normal.dot. Word literally will not run without it. If Word can not find a normal.dot, it makes one. So, if you can open Word, there IS a normal.dot. No if, ands, or buts. If Word can open, there is a normal.dot somewhere.

It is usually in the following folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\

Gerry

black:

Did you see my instructions about HOW TO FIND NORMAL.DOT on certain PCs?

The link I provided clearly states:

If you cannot find normal.dot:

Check under User Templates in the Tools-Options menu of Word, on the File Locations tab. If you do not have "permission" to rename normal.dot, check with your network administrator or internal helpdesk (applies only on some PCs at work, not home users).

If you have Windows XP, you may need to turn on viewing of system files in order to find your normal.dot. To do so, open Windows Explorer, and go to Tools-Folder Options. Choose the View tab, and choose to Show Hidden Files and Folders.

ok, maybe i did do what you guys told me to do cuz when i followed the adress C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\
there are 3 normal files in there, two of which i renamed yesterday to normal1 using dreamboats instrucitions but i dont think i did it right. now there is a 3rd on which is named normal again, should i rename that one as well?

dreamboat: i did use your instructions, i opend word, went to "tools" > templates and addins> in the templates and addins windows i went to the botton and cllicked "organizer" thn in the organizer window theres a bunch of stuff 2 scrool down winddows "document 1" and "to normal" gthats the only way for me to even see andything resembling the normal.dot file but it doenst let me change it to my knowlegde cuz in sttyles available in both windows the normal file is still normal.dot(global template)

You're trying to use Word to view the normal template. When you're in Word, the normal template IS IN USE and you cannot do anything with it. You are only to LOOK there to see WHERE your normal.dot is...

You MUST follow what I said above. I will repeat here:
If you cannot find normal.dot:

Check under User Templates in the Tools-Options menu of Word, on the File Locations tab. If you do not have "permission" to rename normal.dot, check with your network administrator or internal helpdesk (applies only on some PCs at work, not home users).

If you have Windows XP, you may need to turn on viewing of system files in order to find your normal.dot. To do so, open Windows Explorer, and go to Tools-Folder Options. Choose the View tab, and choose to Show Hidden Files and Folders.

Hi
Tray deleting Temp folder under Docs&Settings\USer\Local Settings\Temp, but before that show Hidden files

ok, dreamboat, i did what you said, but everytime i open a new document in word a new norma.dot appera. is that supposed to happen??

Yes!

:)

It's the default template for Word, thunda.
It often gets corrupt.
When you first install Word, there IS no normal.dot.
Word launches and looks for it.
When it doesn't find it, it creates a BRAND NEW one (not corrupted one).
If you delete it or rename it, you are forcing Word to create a new one.

This is supposed to happen.

So....how is Word working now?

so far so good, it hasnt crashed yet. keping my fingers crossed. i hope i dont have to keep em crossed everytime i use word. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back