Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaylabear

Programmer
Oct 23, 2002
CA
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to install Visual Basic 6 onto another computer (I'm currently using it on a windows xp machine and am trying to install it on a windows 98 machine.) Every time I try to install it I get the same error message:

'Setup is unable to register VFP6R.DLL in the system registry.'

Now Visual basic runs properly except for the fact that I cannot open and use the Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0

I'm trying to recompile a program that I built on a windows xp machine onto a windows 98 machine and this program needs to use the Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0, but I am unable to open them as they are not registered.

Can anyone tell me how I might go about registering the VFP6R.DLL file so that I can open the Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 or can you tell me what I could use instead of the Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0

I find it odd as I'm using the exact same copy of Visual basic 6 on both machines but I only get this error on the windows 98 machine.

Any insight or ideas you have are GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS.

Hi,

VFP6R.DLL is actually a Visual FoxPro file, I can't think what it has to do with common controls 6.0. If it won't register, perhaps it has dependencies that are missing. Look for a file called VFP6R.DEP to see what other DLLs it requires.

To register a file manually, open a DOS window and change to the Windows System folder

Eg: cd c:\windows\system

Then to register a DLL:

regsvr32 dllname.dll

or add -u at the end to unregister one.

If your problem is in loading the 3D controls that ship with VB6, you need to find this file on your VB cd:

COMMON\TOOLS\VB\CONTROLS\VBCTRLS.REG

Double-click it to add the registration details to the registry before you can use the controls at design time.

Hope some of this helps!

- Andy

Hello Andy,

it seems I'm missing some files on my VB cd, because when I go into COMMON\TOOLS\ there is no VB folder, and therefore there is no CONTROLS folder either and I can't find anything called VBCTRLS.REG

Do you know where I might find a controls folder?

Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry, can only tell you that I have this file and folder on my VB6 CD and the file is mentioned in MSDN so Microsoft clearly think it ought to be on the CD too!

Just out of interest, what error do you get when you try to use the common controls? Is the error when you try to load in the project or when you try to compile it?

- Andy

I get the error when I try to add the 'Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0' to my form.

I go to Project - Components, but when I hit apply, I get the following error: Project Library Not Registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back