Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Windows 7 professional Patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

estersita

Technical User
Aug 5, 2004
US
Hi Experts,

I have to answer certain questions for my VPN Access Request.
I am supposed to work from home once in a while using my own PC laptop.

One of the question is about Microsoft Patches up to date.

How would I know if I do have Patches on my home PC? Could you please tell me how can I check it in order to answer properly?

Thank you very much for the consideration,

Estersita

Simply search on "windows 7 update" and follow the instructions. If you have never run patches on your windows 7 machine it's going to take a long time to catch up. I would start the update before you go to sleep and finish it in the morning when you get up.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

It might have been more useful for the IT dept to help you by bringing in your laptop and they do it for you!

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Yes it would, but I can also understand where the IT department doesn't want to get into the habit of working on private computer equipment, especially when it is so easy to do your own updates.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Original question:
How would I know if I do have Patches on my home PC? Could you please tell me how can I check it in order to answer properly?
3 ways:
start, all programs, windows update, installed updates
start, control panel, windows update, same installed updates link
start, control panel, programs and features, view installed updates link

As noted, it can be a long process.
From another site, starting from SP1 (which is another update of around 1 hr), checked by:
start, control panel, system, if SP1 it will be noted

From another support site it was suggested by someone with more experience than me:

Download Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 (Offline Installer) for Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 from Official Microsoft Download Center

(32 bit)
(64 bit)

Download October, 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 (KB3185330) from Official Microsoft Download Center (32 bit)
Download October, 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3185330) from Official Microsoft Download Center (64 bit)
These patches are about 3 1/2 hr to install with intervening reboots

then let the automatic updates take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back