Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical USB - Won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylessKnight

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
My system won't get past the boot splash screen when the mouse is connected through the usb port, but when connect through ps/2 port, it's fine... Should I update my bios to get the "usb" connection for my mouse to work??

Yeap, I tried disabling that already, didn't work :(... Computers used to be so easy... they're getting harder and harder.. hm... But thanks..

I think smah has the right idea. It is a BIOS issue. I had a similar problem on a client machine, and created the following rule:

. If there is a legacy USB setting in the BIOS, enable it if you use USB mice or keyboard;

. If there is a legacy USB setting already enabled and you have mice or keyboard issues, disable it.

The Microsoft USB products seem to like having the BIOS setting enabled; the Logitech products seem better (not always) with the BIOS setting disabled.

Note as well that if you are using an USB-2-PS/2 adapter for the mouse, toss it in the trash can. This is just problematic under XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back