Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft VPN issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

djl7780

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2003
US
I have a Microsoft 2000 server with two nics in it. One nic has an external ip from my isp. the other has an internal ip address of ex.192.168.x.x I can connect to this vpn fine from the internet. The problem I am having is my internal nic has real low traffic on it. it has maybe 107 bytes sent and 63 received. The external nic is in the thousands. Anyone have any ideas why I can connect to the vpn but not see my internal network? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Are you talking about being able to browse the network once logged in through VPN? If so ours is like that as well. You should still be able to map network drives and stuff like that though. Maybe it's a security thing??? I don't know much about it. I was able to use terminal server to connect to a server and browse the network from there though.

Ed

Thanks for the reply,
The only drives I can map is if I share something on the vpn server itself. What do you mean by using terminal server?

Ok...

Is the problem you are having this:

You can work fine on your internal network when not connected to the VPN, but as soon as you tunnel into your VPN connection you are no longer able to browse or get around your internal connection?

Check your settings for the VPN connection, under the networking tab click on TCP/IP and settings, then click Advanced and uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote network" and see if that allows you to browse both networks. CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

This is what happens, when I dial up to the internet from my laptop(for testing while at work) connect to my vpn, I cannot see anything on the internal network. I can map drives to the vpn server itself but nothing past it. "use default gateway on remote computer" is unchecked, still no luck. It is like there is something wrong with the internal nic card configuration. I know the nic isn't bad because I replaced it to make sure. I read you do not assign it a default gateway, you leave it blank. Any suggestions?

What is the IP address of the VPN connection when you connect from the net? (use ipconfig /all). Does it match the subnet of your local network? Can you ping the ip addresses of other computers on your network through the vpn? Can you ping them by name? Have you tried to connect through ip address (start>run>//192.168.000.002/share)? The most probable place to find a problem is in the RRAS configuration.

I cant see anything past the vpn server. I can not ping anything internal.

What is the IP address assigned to the VP connection? Use ipconfig /all and look for the VP connection. Does it match the subnet of your local subnet or is it in the 169.254.x.y range? If the later, you need to have RRAS assign the proper address.

Thank all of you for your help, but the problem is resolved. I wish I could tell you how I fixed it but I can't. After a week of fiddling with this thing it finally works! I do not know what happen but I rebooted it for another reason and bam! It is funny because I rebooted many times in the last week. Thanks anyway.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back