Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Visual Source Safe and Cognos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeWegenwachter

Programmer
Apr 3, 2003
NL
We are creating many catalogs, queries and cubes. Frequently we make adjustmens to this files. We now want a version control system to administrate the different versions of the files.

We heard of the version control system from Microsoft "Visual Source Safe". Is somebody using this software? Is it a good solution? And how does it integrates with the Cognos suite?

Visual Source safe is for use with Microsoft Developement applications, such as VB C/C++ etc. It does not support use by Cognos or any other products.

I'm not aware of any version control application available for cognos products, this would be down to your own procedures and housekeeping.

HTH

Gary Parker
Systems Support Analyst
Manchester, England

reportnet got the option to specify the sourcesafe. but i havnt seen for impromptu and powerplay. if u want to keep the history, still u can do that by addding the catalog, reports, powerplay models folder to visual source safe project. everytime u user catalog or others for change, u have to checkout and check in after the changes. i dont see any problem in it. With microsoft products, it (VSS) comes as a default option, for other applications, u hav to add files to VSS project manually.

regards,
sudhi

ReportNet allows you to use either Visual SourceSafe or CS - CVS to store Framework Manager models.

This is good information. I was just asked to start using Source Safe for my Cognos.

Are you saying that if you do not have ReportNet, it will not work?

ReportNet is the only Cognos tool at this time that has the built-in mechanism to support SourceSafe.

Actually, I use visual source safe (VSS) to archieve different version of cognos files and it works.

Effectively, it's not a perfect for packaging a version. Me, I create one folder by big version and it works well.

The advantage for VSS that's very easy to rollback to old version and see all modifications that's was doing on file.

Gilles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back