Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft to get more "pushy" about upgrades to Win X 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2003
US
I don't like pushy people, and I don't like pushy corporations. I'm leaving Windows Update disabled and I'm checking once per day to make sure it's disabled unless I'm actively using it.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

Does the term "curmudgeon" apply here?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Perhaps curmudgeon applies - you're entitled to your opinion. I certainly am the antithesis of a Microsoft Groupie. :)

If you won't upgrade to Windows 10, we'll force it down your throat. You WILL BE assimilated. :)

adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

I understand your frustration and your opinion. I'm not against you. You are completely right that they are trying VERY HARD to get you to upgrade, which upon the face of it, makes me feel a bit uncomfortable with moving to Windows 10. I'm still running Windows 7 on my main desktop.

Let's see, let's check off the boxes on the suspicion index:
1. FREE upgrade to Windows 10 (never before seen in the MS world)
2. Moving the free upgrade from Optional to Recommended status
3. Resetting the updates so you have to refuse the upgrade again and again in order to avoid it.

Would just be nice to see something other than "anti-Windows 10 upgrade" posts from you. Fair enough?

As many of you know, I also run Linux and have a Chromebook. But Windows is still pervasive in the corporate world, so I must use it. My Windows 10 machine is standalone. It is physically separated from the rest of my network to prevent any possible "contamination" by rogue programs and settings. Interesting that the only standalone machines that are isolated from the network in my home computing environment are Windows 3.1.1 and Windows 10. The oldest and the newest.

My concern would be that M$ could have each computer generate a "unique machine id" based on multiple factors like hardware, software, etc. That would be like a digital fingerprint that would make tracking you very simple via ip address IF that info was also sent. Basically just like how you location can be gleaned from your cell phone pinging off this or that tower.

Thats funny. How do you think windows activation works. They make a unique key for the machine using the various hardware and software.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

The difference being unique code and tracking via telemetry and maybe sharing with the government.

Seems like the pony got out of the stable a long time ago regarding cell phones, then smart phones and now the Internet of Things, so what exactly is the big privacy deal regarding the few remaining desktop pcs when many of them will be talking to a smart phone or your refrigerator anyway. We've bought into this technology which is not secure; ironically postman Pat and the landline are probably a better bet if you have any real secrets.

Was there a "unique hardware ID" for computers like Dells with Windows 7 which never required activation, even after reloads from a Dell recovery DVD?

Yes, for Windows 8.x and later (the older auto-activation methods used by Microsoft used data generic to the OEM).

But if you are worried about your computer being uniquely identifiable you probably want to edit the BIOS to remove the serial number ...

(for those that are curious this can be retrieved by typing

[tt]wmic bios get serialnumber[/tt]

at a command prompt)

I still have have a Dell with windows 7, so I guess I'm not worried that it has shared a unique identifier.

Any reference on the pre-windows 8 auto-activation and the generic data you speak of.

Doa google for SLIC and/or SLP

@HughLerwill - as a retired military communications officer, we were always taught that Face to Face is the most reliable (authenticity 100%), then hand delivered message, then landline message, and lastly radio/wireless. Radio and wireless are the most susceptible to jamming, natural interference (sunspots, lightning, etc), and interception. Anyone with a scanner can tap into radio traffic, whereas landline requires a "wiretap", which is illegal in most cases.

KB 3150513 is ANOTHER Win10 update-enabling patch, and released without any documentation.

adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive agile big data clouds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back