Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft SQL Server Driver Timeout Expired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2003
US
I have read several threads on this but I have not found anything that works. Could someone please enlighten me on something to fix this? I am trying to do a Create table query and I keep getting a Timeout Expired Error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What are you using to run the create table statement?

Denny

I am querying off a table. Taking the results and trying to create another table to put my results.

Denny's question was really referring to the application you are executing the CREATE TABLE statement from. Is it from Query Analyzer, an ASP web page, a VB app etc..?

Also can you post the actual CREATE TABLE statement you are trying to run?

--James

I probally should have made that more clear.

Denny

Post your connectionstring, you may have to add a timeout option to it that is bigger than the default, but it depends what you are programming in ..

Transcend
[gorgeous]

I am querying a table in EM. I am wanting to put the result in a table using a create table query. I get a timeout error. It is a large amount of data but I checked my timeout settings and it is set to "0" meaning unlimited.

Have you checked for any database or table locks that might be preventing your query from running?

Transcend
[gorgeous]

Sorry I am really new at SQL. Where would I check to see if the table is locked.j

EM has a very short timeout period. Run your select statement in Query Analyzer. It won't have the problem of timing out like EM does.

Denny

Hi, I'm having a similar problem, maybe you can help.
I'm calling a stored procedure from vb.net with the connection string
"user id=sa;database=myDB;data source=Server;Connect Timeout=60"

I am inserting a large number of records into a tblStuffArchive and it times out after approx 30 seconds. I know that it manages to connect ok, because I have done tests in the stored proc before the INSERT.

Is there something else I should be putting in my connection string?

Many thanks.

But would that be the Connect Timeout parameter, or is there a separate timeout parameter? I thought connect timeout would only apply to the initial connection setup?

Thanks

What driver are you using to connect with?

Denny

Between the ESP=ON and the RUM (Read Users Mind) upgrade, I'm ready to go.

Type: SQL Server 2000 Database
Driver: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

I probally should have phrased that differently. Somewhere in the connection string, you should have a "provider=" or ""Network Library=" What's that set to?

Is it set to provider=sqloledb? Or something else?

Denny

Try provider=sqloledb, mabey it'll work better?

Denny

MRDENNY , you are correct about the SQL Query Analyzer. It doesn't time out, but how does that help me when running this from a front app like ASP or Access?

Shamous, not sure what your are referring to? This is the first time I've seen you on this thread.

Denny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back