Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft server 2003-network computer not finding server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrubcic1111

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2006
US
hey, i just installed microsoft server 2003 on a computer. i have two network cards. and i am trying to use it as a file sharing server. i need a vpn on it (thats where the two network cards come in play. i know i have to go from the westell modem into one network port. then out of the other one into the hub. i know i have to do a ip passthrough to the server. but i can get the server on the internet and the ip passthrough working, but i cannot get the other computers to find the server on the internet. and how do i get the server to relay the internet to the other computers. i know how to add users in the server. and all of that. it gives me an error on the network card that is going to the switch (limited or no connectivity). i go and try to put them on the same Microsoft windows network. and the server will be the same as the other computers, but the other computers will see each other, but cannot access the internet. and the server can acces the internet but not see the other computers. and when i do the ip passthough do i need crossover cables from the modem to the server and a crossover cable from the server to the switch.

i know i repeated my self alot, but i'm just trying to infor you of what i know to do and what i'm haveing problems with.

also
how do i do the DHCP and the DSN. and what does it do.

so in conclusion.

i need the server to store files, and do an automattic backup. allow for the computer on the switch to connect to it to find files. i need it to contol the printing. and i need it to allow for the vpn. and i was gonna set it up where the user account, you have to type in you user name and password to connect to the server in the office/ and u can use the same to connect to the vpn from your house. and with the vpn can you map the drives into the program where when you connect, it will say connected and you computer will work like its at the office.

once again i know its alot, but i have been strugglin with this for a month now. please help

does the server If only need for file, need to have a lot of ram.

THank You

Jonathan Rubcic
electrical designer
Robbins, Mezick, & Associates, LLC.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35401

I forgot to put, that i am using Microsoft Windows XP professional on the other computers.

westell (bellsouth) modem
SWitch (not sure what it is)

Thanks

-Jonathan Rubcic

The only safe way to do this is with a VPN tunnel. NetBIOS calls are not going to route across the internet, and you really don't want to have an open server out there for all the world to hack at. You will need to set up RAS on the server to accept VPN connections and open the appropriate ports on your firewall. You do not need (or really want) 2 nics, This is called a dual home system, and can work, but often causes issues. Microsoft really does not work that well with multiple gateways. At your firewall, you can port-forward to the server, or if you have a better router, you can set up a 1-to-1 NAT. L2TP will work best for your WinXP clients, and avoids a lot of the limitations of PPTP. Be sure DHCP is on/available to the server and DHCP relay is set right. To help with locating the server from the internet, you can use the IP address, or create a DNS record to point to it with a friendly name. DynamicDNS.org will host a limited number of DNS records for you for free if needed. Beyond that, set up a VPN connector on the client and go for it.

hey man thanks, but how do i make the other computers on the network to see the server. and how do i exactly setup lan connection2 to allow the passthrough. and do i need crossover cables. for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back