Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft RMS and thin clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck2506

Technical User
Dec 7, 2004
US
Has anyone used MS RMS in a network environment with thin clients instead of full PCs?

Never tried it but I strongly advise against it.

Golden rule of retail technology: reliability is everything. Mechinisims built in so that if the database server, network, or anything else that could possibly goes wrong does, it can fall back on a saftey net. In a thin client situation, this would not be possible.

Hope that helps.

Rick

Our client RMS environments are always on a switch 100 net, with all switches and infrastructure are on battery backup. the main server runs sql server, usually dells

Our clients are gatways profiles (1.3 - 700mhz PIII, and some touch screens) all in ones for the POS (everything runs on APCC UPS).

we run domain security on everything. we also, have clients with dinerware nodes to handle the resturant traffic as well.

works great We view the clients as throw-aways. we use roaming profiles

as the other person, said, make sure the infrastructure is solid. It is the data that is key

matt k.

Thank you for the information. I've looked at Dell for servers and Wyse for the thin clients. The primary reason I am looking at thin clients versus pc's is because the thin client looks more reliable in the long run(no hd, optical drives). But I also understand the need for redundacy and back ups.

If you set up a domain with romaing profiles, the clients become throw away's. so having a local disk really does not matter. It will help the systesm performance, if you have the OS locally. If you ahve a failure, just clone a PC and replace it.

If the net connection is fast, you can load all of the profiles or POS stuff from the server. in the case of cashiers, you can have one logon, to do what you need do (since they really do not need files locally

matt k.

Not to disagree with everyone else in this thread, but I've been using wyse thin clients for my POS for years. Mind you, the software involved is not RMS, but I've made no major changes in my custom POS to facilitate it's use on thin clients. What I get out of the deal is a lower initial cost for hardware, a single point for both upgrade and failure, and generic/disposable client machines. As for heightened reliability due to the absence of client harddrives, I'm afraid that is a myth. The clients which I have used have about the same failure rate as my Dell workstations, except that when they fail, it almost always requires sending the client back to wyse for replacement. Fortunately, the cost savings on the front end, allows me to leave a spare client or two at the site for quick trade-outs.
Thin clients are good for distributing applications around a lan at low cost, but they are not without shortcomings. And most of those shortcomings center around the needs of POS Software. For example...

Ports and Local Printers
The wyse terminals I use have a beautiful array of ports on their backside, but only LPT1 and COM1 are available from the Terminal Services session. The others can be used for mice or touchscreens, or are totally useless. POS software often requires ports for cash-drawers, pole-displays, mag-swipes and even usb cameras. Fortunately, most of those components can stack up (Some mag-swipes and barcode guns can ride on the keyboard. Some cash-drawers and pole-displays can ride on the receipt printer). It can be done, but you gotta plan for thin client port starvation before you start buying your peripherals.
Another issue that must be overcome is giving the POS software access to the receipt printer. Whenever you are using terminal services to run an application, the code is actually running on the server. Whenever software references memory or ports, those resources are the ones physically located in the server. It is up to you, to map the client's remote resources to that client's unique terminal session. Depending on the model of client you choose, that might be a difficult challenge.
As for the user's perception of speed, it is relative to the power of the servers. I use 2.4+ Ghz P4's with 1G Ram, SATA drives and Win2K/Win2K3 and get excellent performance for 5 - 10 clients running my POS. :)
Hope some of this helps!
Peace,
Colt

If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid

Dumb" terminals and the reliance on server AND network 100% up time are the reason that most retail systems have worked towards distributed systems. Why would anyone encourage a customer to go backwards?

It may be a little different in hospitality, I only do retail, but WHY would you, in this day in age, put in place a system that relies on 100% Server and Network up-time in order to run your business?

There are many systems, like Infinity, which we offer, that always run, regardless of network and server status. Why would you want to set up a system that won't?

Sorry to sound like a zealot, but after 15 years in PC based systems, the technology finally is perfected to allow POS to operate without being server or network dependant, I just don't understand why people want to go back to that.

<a href=" POS Systems and Wine Club Software</a>
<a href=" POS Systems</a>

Network dependence is definitely an issue. I realize I forgot to mention that in my earlier (pro-thin-client) reply. You have a definite point in a money is no option universe.
Unfortunately, my customers and I live on a budget and for many reasons, thin clients are more economical in the long run. Cheaper/No local desktop/Single point of upgrade/centralized security and backup/etc...
Don't get me wrong. I love remotedatasets (which free .net applications from network dependency) and I use them in the advanced version of my POS which requires dedicated workstations. But when the issue is economy and/or standardization of workstations, nothing beats a thin client.

Peace,
Colt

If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back