Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Project IF formula, help needed please 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 27, 2002
GB
Hi, I wonder if someone can help please. I'm trying to create a rule whereby if a certain value in column A is added to a certain value in column B, this should be changed to a value which will then be automatically entered into the new text column with custom fields that I will create.
Apologies if this is clear as mud. I just struggle with the IF command and the nested formulas.
What I'm trying to achieve is as follows:

If AB (text in column A) plus /and CD (text in column B) then enter value ABCD in the new column where the formula is configured.

There will be at least 15 variations of this with different combinations of values in both columns resulting in different values to be entered in the new column. It would be easier if I can configure each permutation on a separate line. Hope you understand what I'm trying to achieve here and many thanks in advance for your help

Hi,

If AB (text in column A) plus /and CD (text in column B) then enter value ABCD in the new column

Do you mean if the first THREE characters in column A are AB/ and the only characters in column B are CD, then place the first two from A and all of B in the designated column?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

Hi Skip,
Thanks for taking the time to respond, again apologies for the garbled explanation.

1st column contains a value, let's call that AB, could be BC, CD or several other options (at least 10 to 15 of then)

2nd column also contains values, let's call this EF, FG, GH. Again this has about 10 to 15 variants.

I then want my new column to be populated with a value from a list of about 10 to 15 options in a lookup table.

To be clear, it's not just a simple concatenation. I need to list all the possible variants and want the new column auto filled with the correct option from the lookup table.
I'm hoping I can get some help with using the IF formula (I'm not good with these at all) to create statements such as "IF 1st column = AB (I'd need to know how to point it to the right columns) and 2nd column = CD then select WXYZ from lookup table in new column.

Hope this is a bit clearer, thank you.

You're gonna be better off in Forum913 although not much activity there and I don't have Project on my PC and I haven't used Project for years. I'd be apt to code a function in VBA instead of writing a fifteen level IIF() formula.

BTW, Project doesn't have lookup functions.

Skip,
[sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

Thanks again Skip. Programming of any kind was never my forte and I dropped it as soon as I could in university.
I will try the forum you suggested. I really appreciate your time.

You may also try forum707
UDF (or User Defined Functions) are fun and not that hard. And a lot easier to maintain that nested IF statements in a long formula.

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

The problem is - that's not Excel, it is a Microsoft Project. A different 'animal'... :)

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

Project's formula menu is more like Access than Excel.

Skip,
[sub]

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back