Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Outlook issue's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Design100

Technical User
Jan 21, 2004
ZA
Hi all

I know this may seem as a pityful problem, but it really has me dumb founded. I have a 2000 environment, running exchange 2000 server. Most clients connecting via outlook 2000, and some Outlook 2001. My problems all started when we managed to let our guard down and allow the blaster virus in. Erradicating the virus seemed to be no hassle, but now none of my clients can connect using outlook 2000 or 2001. The only way i can get them into there e-mail, is through OWA, or Express. I found out quite alot about the virus, and what it does, but still can not understand this problem. When trying to connect to server through Client with outlook 2000 / 2001, just says network problems are preventing connection to the server. I can browse the server, send recieve from other clients OWA, there appears to be nothing physically wrong with my server. Am i missing some sort of setting some where, that the virus might have changed. PLEASE HELP, Been 2 days now.

Outlook 2001 ???

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Outlook 2001 was a Macintosh client as I recall. Must be a Mac shop Marc.

Try control panel Outlook/mail. Change the settings until you see the screen with server name and user name (depending on the version depends where it is). Wipe both and re-enter. See if that cures the problem. If not, wipe the profile fully and recreate.

<signature for rent>

I do recall that, but I actually was trying to figure out if all clients were Mac or PC as the issue is not really very clear to be an Exchange problem at all. (Besides the fact he cannot connect).

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

What makes me scratch my head (other than the fleas) is how the Blaster got them. That's like what, a year ago now? How do you let your guard down a year after implementing fixes for a problem?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

OK let me try make it a bit clearer, lets work with outlook 2000, the other client is outlook 2003, not 2001, sry my bad. I don't think that is nessary to explain, how we obtained the blaster virus, but just that we had it and now it is gone. I am running Win2k Sp4 clients, with Win2k server Sp4, and Exchange 2000 SP3. Since the Blaster virus, my Win2k Clients, cannot connect to the exchange 2000 server, using Microsoft Outlook. I can connect them threw OWA, no problems, and Outlook Express 6.0 no problem using Imap. I have tried uninstalling Microsoft Outlook and re-installing. Still no Joy. I can Browse the Server, through Explorer, and also have a FTP Server running on it, which people can access without prolems, thus making me think that it is not a network problem.If u have any suggestions, would be much appreciated.

I Still don't know what caused this problem, but it is now fixed, we had a power failure, and when all the servers came back up, all was working. Really strange, as i have rebooted these servers before about a dozen times. Well anyway thank you to all that took the time to give advice and help much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back