Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICROSOFT or COMP-TIA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

just1fix

Technical User
Oct 13, 2004
US
Hello all,
I am currently studying the MCDST material and I am about half-way to being ready to take exam(s). I have taken a few different A+ Core and O/S practice exams and they seem very similar to the MCDST. Since $$ is somewhat an issue (since exams are at least $125 each), which cert is more in demand in the current IT world, in your opinion, the MCDST or the Comp TIA A+?? I was planning on taking the MCDST and then go for the MCSA and then MCSE. However, if the CompTia is more recognizable then maybe it would be to get this instead. Thanks

At the moment the A+ will be more reconnised that the MCDST. This is mainly because the MCDST is a very new cert. Currently there are only 1,524 people that hold the MCDST ( Most managers probably don't even know about this cert yet. As that changes more people will be looking for it when hiring help desk staff.

I'm courious why you are getting your MCDST if you plan on getting your MCSA and MCSE?

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

Thanks for the reply Mrdenny.

I'm a little new to the IT industry (about a year), so I figure this would be a good "starter" cert, and according to the Microsoft website this could be used as a elective towards MCSA or MCSE. It appears that the A+ cert doesn't count towards anything towards a Microsoft Cert, so I would try this route. I guess in "certification land" you have to start somewhere. :)

Ah, yes. I see that having an MCDST can replace having to take the elective exam for the MCSA (but not for the MCSE acording to the web site).

Also acording to the site A+ and Network+ or A+ and Server+ can be used to replace the MCSA Elective (again not for the MCSE). The Security+ can be used for both MCSA and MCSE.

If you are going to be getting both your MCSA and MCSE get the MCSA first then look at the upgrade requirments for the MCSE. They are different than the tests for the MCSE outright, and should save you a test.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

keeping with mrdenny's thoughts, why not begin the MCSA/E track and take the OS exam (probably xp-pro). i recently interviewed several people for a help desk position. i looked for applicants with the MCP in XP or W2K. A+ is great info, but vendor neutral. nothing wrong with the A+ cert. If you are on your way to a MCSA/E, maybe a company will foot the bill for the remainder of the exams? mine did. and many others that i have talked with.

best of luck

scottie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back