Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Office Installation on Win 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnd3

Instructor
Jul 1, 2001
US
I have had many, many problems since I went to Win 2k (with office 2000). I have a user account and I believe the software was initially installed on the user account (that has administrative rights). Could this cause problems? I created another user account with administrative rights and not so many problems. The main one is that the windows installer activates when I use a feature like help or wizards. I have gone through the install on the admin account and the user account both and made sure that "run all from my computer is checked." Any ideas? tips? Should I reinstall Win 2K? By the way, I have all the current updates from Microsoft. When I created the new user, I had to go and redownload all the same updates for Office. Is this normal?

Dawn

I thinks its a feature of Office 2000 that it needs to be 'installed' on each user on machine - so after initial install, if you then go to use it from another user on the same machine, it will 'install' on that user (just settings I think). This also carries through to any features originally set to 'install on first use'. But if you've run the install on each user and set to 'run from my computer' and its still 'installing' when you use said features, that sounds like something is wrong (try the MS knowledge base?)

If you have installed office currectly as an administrator, you can the go into documants and settings, administrator and copy the shortcuts from the start menu within there and paste them into the folder all users start menu.

Try this:

Uninstall Office
Shut down the PC
Turn the PC back on
Reinstall Office and make sure to Run all from the PC.

We run Office 2000 on Windows 2000 with multiple users with no problems and as long as the orginal install was done by an account with admin permissions you should be ok.

Do you get the install wiz. from every account, including the one that installed the software? If you do then the full reinstall of Office should correct the problem... CJ
- Paper MCSE in training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back