Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Office Global Templates in Livelink - Best practices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfmosaid

Programmer
Apr 5, 2013
CA
We're migrating our legacy fileshares to OpenText ECM (Livelink) and I was wondering if anyone had ideas as to best practices for storing and managing MIcrosoft Office global templates (.dot,.dotx,.xlsm, etc)

Currently some Word documents have the network share embedded in the document template.

Thanks very much for your help!

J.F.

When you add a word document it is getting stored in an internal mechanism with a very different technical name.When a user clicks on the livelink link if it is a word document a copy of the document is making its way to your computer with the appropriate mime type.If your computer can see the local network share for the macro you will be fine. Livelink is just a document storing and versioning mechanism. It does not know how office things work

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

That's the issue we have, some older documents refer to a network share that no longer exists.

We were thinking of moving all of the templates into LL and then running some macros on the docs to update the template path. Do we them simply store the .dot/.dotx files in some arbitrary folder in LL?

We have Enterprise Connect, would setting the path of the template in the word doc be as simple as "EnterpriseConnect:path_To_Templates"? Is there a better way?

Thanks for your very prompt response!

no if you want to refer it from livelink you have to use the old/unreliable product called webdav so the path may look like
lldav\9000\2000\345678 Enterprise connect uses each users local webdav and they are doing away with webdav altogether
why could not the word files with a .dotx be stored like as it is the .dotx is in some share the user can always find it.
Many comapanies have a P,S and whatever departmental drive why couldnt the template reside ouside of LL
In some other places I have advised people to put the macro lines within the word template itself so it is self sufficient
that seems to have worked for some.
You can go to the knowledge.opentext.com website and they have things called Champion tool kit documents that may explain better ways than what we are saying here

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

Thanks for your answer appnair,

It would simply have been nice to be able to manage the templates through ECM just like we do with the docs. Makes sense to be able to do that. I'll follow your suggestion and research a bit more but it sounds to me like keeping the file share will be the way to move forward.

J.F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back