Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICROSOFT Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 SUB/PS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

moveit

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
GB
I have borrowed a friends 4000 keyboard and put an adapter on the USB to PS2. The keyboard does not work in PS2. I have seen this Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 advertised sometimes as USB/PS2 and other times as just USB. Does anyone know why the 2 different types and is there a PS2 type?

It's specified as working with only a USB port, and not with a PS2 port, on the Microsoft site.
Those adapters can be a hit-or-miss proposition. Did you try a different one?

Hi ski

I used the adaptor that came with a USB mouse I had bought a few months ago. I assumed it would work with that. Are you saying that they are not all the same? I find it strange that on some sellers' sites they are saying USB/PS2 connection. I wonder if it is only in the US that they have both?

The MS site did not specify anything about it working on a PS2 port, US or not.

The problem was that the site in the US definitely stated both so I guessed it might only be America where they have both. What other connectors could you suggest?

Basically I do not like USB. I had over 3 months trying to get a KVM to work but although I tried both Belkin and Avocent they both had the same fault. If I turned on my midi computer first then the main one would boot up but not show any screen. I then tried Aten which was a PS2 connection and all worked well. Various people have told me that USB is very hit and miss which I agree.

I shall have to stick with the keyboard I have and maybe Microsoft will realise that they have missed out on PS2 users. Thanks for your help over this.

PS/2 is being phased out by a lot of computer manufacturers, so you'll eventually have to move to usb.
ps/2 doesn't allow hotswapping, I imagine you know this, but just to be sure, make sure to restart the computer when you plug it in.

Hi ngxGraz
Hotswapping is the only good thing about USB but this can be done with firewire which is more stable than USB. I am surprised firewire has not become more popular. I know many people both users and computer makers that say USB is more trouble than it is worth. I suspect Microsoft is pushing this.
Having had all the trouble with USB KVM and costing me over £200 to find a KVM that works, I am not happy at the thought of being pushed towards USB. I do not know where you are based but in the UK I have not seen any pressure towards the USB by motherboard manufacturers yet. Thank you for your comments.

I'm from Canada, :) and while I don't like firewire too much, I think it's a better idea, and firewire 800 is a lot faster than usb. in NA at least, most mobo's don't support more than one firewire, but have 6+, not exactly sure why they're moving towards usb, but they definitely are.

I struggled for several days last year with the MS Ergo Keyboard 4000's USB connection -- trying to get it to work through a high-quality Raritan KVM switch (which has PS/2 connectors for mouse and keyboard, no USB), and finally gave up.

I *really* wanted to make it work, since I love many things about that keyboard, but I have to go through KVMs (and I already have a HUGE investment in the Raritan PS/2 equipment, so it would cost a small fortune to replace that with USB KVM equipment).

I thought that it should be possible to make it work -- especially because I have used many other USB keyboards and USB mice with my KVMs.

I tried many things including:

(1) Several different brands of the little USB-to-PS2 and PS2-to-USB convertor/adapters (these are the little green or purple ones, about 1.5" long that sell for about $3-4 US),

(2) Several of the more "upscale" USB-to-PS2 converter/adapters/splitters, such as the kind used for connecting keyboard and mouse to a laptop that has only one connector for external keyboard and mouse (these are about 6"-10" long, usually having a small nodule-thingie in the middle, with 1 cable about 3" on one side, and 2 cables about 3" long on the other side, and sell for about $10.00),

(3) Some high-end USB-to-PS2 converter/adapter/splitter/emulators, like the laptop converter/splitter described above, but additionally having electronics which emulate a mouse (so that, when using a KVM and you switch it from computer A to computer B, Computer A still thinks it has a mouse attached). (Since the USB connector on these is male, and the USB connector on the MS 4000 keyboard is male, you have to use a F-F gender changer between them). These sell for about $50-150.00.

(4) Praying

(5) Holding my breath and contorting my mouth into unusual shapes,

none of which worked.

I cannot understand WHY it is not possible to get this keyboard to work through USB-to-PS2 converters. I posted questions in a few online forums about this, but have never gotten any answers.

Since then, I have discovered that there are also a few USB mouses (both wired and wireless) made by Microsoft, which similarly do not work with the KVMs, converters/adapters, splitters/emulators. (But I have some earlier models of Microsoft USB mice which do work -- such as the Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0).

I have reluctantly resigned myself to the fact that the MS 4000 Ergo keyboard is not going to be possible for me with my KVM setups.

But -- still I would like to know the reason WHY?!?! What is Microsoft doing differently with their USB?

It appears to be yet another instance where Microsoft ignores well-established international standards, and designs things they way they think is "better", to hell with compatibility with the rest of the world's manufacturer's devices.

But, what is it that Microsoft is doing differently, which they apparently think is better than the USB standard? What are we gaining from this difference?

Microsoft won't answer this question. I've sent it to a few of the computer-tech magazines, but they don't seem to be sufficiently interested in the problem to provide an answer.

I would be most grateful if there is someone here who could enlighten us as to the "WHY" of this incompatibility.

Thanks!

Hi jkhotm

I did find a keyboard seller who informed me that if you do not get a PS2 converter in the box then Microsoft only support the USB. He told me that there has to be a chip built into the keyboard that allows the USB and PS2 connections to work together. Like you I cannot see why we the customer, cannot have both. I hope this answers your question and if I am wrong then maybe someone will correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back