Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Firewall service terminated (213005)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapMan

Programmer
Jul 21, 1999
US
Hi All,

We just switched ISPs and changed IP addresses on external NIC. Now Firewall client isn't running. We changed all the rules and such but we keep getting the following errors...

Code:
Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	Microsoft Firewall
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	11011
Date:		6/17/2002
Time:		10:47:43 AM
User:		N/A
Computer:	ISASRVR
Description:
Microsoft Firewall failed. The failure occurred during Initialization of Network Address Translation (NAT)  because the system call PNATInit failed. Use the source location 308.1151.3.0.1200.166 to report the failure. The error code in the Data area of the event properties indicates the cause of the failure. This failure may be due to the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) service being enabled. If it is enabled, please disable the service named "Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" (SharedAccess). Then, restart the computer. For more information about this event, see ISA Server Help. The error description is: The parameter is incorrect.
...and...

Code:
Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	Service Control Manager
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	7024
Date:		6/17/2002
Time:		10:47:43 AM
User:		N/A
Computer:	ISASRVR
Description:
The Microsoft Firewall service terminated with service-specific error 213005.

Any ideas on what went kafloowee?

--------------------
Best Regards,
MapMan [americanflag]

Assume nothing, question everything, be explicit not implicit, and you'll always be covered.

It turns out that some remnant addresses from the previous IP block remained on the NIC. Once I removed them, the firewall service was happy.

TTFN, MapMan [americanflag]

Assume nothing, question everything, be explicit not implicit, and you'll always be covered.

What do you mean by...."It turns out that some remnant addresses from the previous IP block remained on the NIC. Once I removed them, the firewall service was happy."

Please provide details of what you did - I have the same problem. Thank you.

Did you configure ICS or NAT?
If you have RRAS enabled, disable it and try again (or restart computer).

From a newsgroup post: "Disable RRAS and see if the problem stops. ISA NAT and RRAS NAT can't coexist on the same server. If you need inCOMing VPN, then configure that through ISA Network Configuration, VPN Wizards. That way, ISA and RRAS can coexists peacefully."

Hope it helps!

Quick and dirty fix.
Applies to Windows 2000 Server. I am running the 120 Day eval. versions. (Yeah, eval. the errors too.)
Go to services. Sort by startup type. Look for automatic services that are not running. This error message will show Microsoft Firewall not running. Also it shows Routing and Remote Access not running. Start this and then the firewall will start.

kaminparis (IS/IT--Manageme) Aug 31, 2003
What do you mean by...."It turns out that some remnant addresses from the previous IP block remained on the NIC. Once I removed them, the firewall service was happy."

Please provide details of what you did - I have the same problem. Thank you.

In the properties of the NIC card I still had old IP addresses assigned there. Once I removed them the problems subsided.

MapMan [americanflag]

having the same problems but I am running windows .net server 2003

get the same error with the message 213005.

How did you solve yours. I have tried everything, but the Microsoft Firewall will not start.

Help!

Another thing is that we are not using windows dhcp services as our cisco as our cisco switches do the ip address allocation, and we have segmented the network. could that be the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back