Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyGod

MIS
May 6, 2005
US
Not sure if anyone has used this tool before. My question is basic but I do not know the answer. Anyway, this tool proclaims that it can upgrade and migrate from Win NT 4.0 Server and Win 2000 Server up to Win 2003 Server. My question is...Can this tool be used to migrate data folders and permissions from Win 2003 to Win 2003 or is it just for NT and Win2K servers? 1 last quick question, will this tool bring installed printers over as well?

Thanks

1. 2003 - 2003 file migration: yes. From the WP

File Server Migration Wizard requirements
System requirements
The target file servers and source file servers that you specify in the File Server Migration Wizard must meet the following requirements:
• Source file servers must be running Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 Server, Windows NT Server 4.0, or Windows Storage Server 2003.
• Target file servers must be running Windows Server 2003 or Windows Storage Server 2003.
• Source and target file servers can be server clusters.
• Target volumes must be formatted with the NTFS file system.
• Source folders must be shared. If you want to migrate folders that are not shared, you must share them first.

2. Print migration: no, but this tool will -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back