Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Exchange Management Service Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

dt167

MIS
Sep 22, 2003
US
I am running Exchange 2000 with SP3 on a Windows 2000 server machine SP4.

I have recently found that my Microsoft Exchange Management will not start. I first noticed it in the Application Log. This event shows up everytime the service tries to start. The event is:

Source: MSExchangeMGMT
Category: General
Event ID: 6
Description: The Microsoft Exchange Management Service encountered an error (0xClass not registered)

When I try to start the service manually I get the following message:

'Could not start the Microsoft Exchange Management service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error.'

Any ideas or suggestions on this? Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Try manually register the copy of Esconf.dll installed by Exchange Server. To manually register Esconf.dll, follow these steps:

1. On the Exchange Server computer, click Start, point to Programs and then click Command Prompt.
2. Type the following command:

CD Exchsrvr\Bin

3. Type the following command:

Regsvr32 Esconf.dll

4. Close the Command Prompt.
5. On the Start menu, point to 'Settings' and then click 'Control Panel'.
6. Double-click 'Services' and click the 'Microsoft Exchange Event Service'. Click 'Start'.
7. Once the service shows in the list as started, close the Services control panel.

Hope this helps.

Peping

Peping,

Thanks for the advice but no luck using...I have searched all day for something but still no luck. Hopefully I will be able to figure out something soon.

Thanks again
DT167

Are you running any anti-virus software? If so, I would try removing it.

Perhaps the MS Ex Management services is attempting to interface or start the AV software and failing in a way that does not provide a meaningful error.

Do you have any other types of excchange add-in's installed?

jbud,

I am running an AV, Trend Micro's Client/Server suite, but I have had that AV up for several monthes now, and have never gotten this error until the past couple of weeks. As for add-in's I don't have any installed.

DT167

Is wmi working?

If not, there you go. If so, try reregistering the following dlls in the exchsrvr\bin directory:

Pttrace.dll
Exchmem.dll
Epoxy.dll
Dsaccess.dll

Hi guys, I have a similiar problem as well. For me, the system attendant service isn't starting up normally. If I manually start the service it takes forever for the bar to climb, then gives the error: "....failed to start in a timely fashion"...When I look at the running services again, it simply says...Starting...Has anyone else seen this?

Ice

Yep I am seeing it right now. I have had an open relay problem and cannot get to Exchange System Manager because a few of the services won't start including system attendant.
Wish I could help but I need help too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back