Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft exchange Internet mail service keeps stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjh60

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2002
US
The internet mail service stops periodically.
When you go to restart the service, it will not restart.
At that point, you have to go to the
c:\exchsrvr\imcdata\in directory, delete the items there, then you can restart the service. Any idea what can I do to eliminate the problem?

Are there any errrors being listed in the event viewer?

There is nothing in the event viewer to indicate a problem.
Also, the exchange server is at service pack 4

one of those mail items you're deleting could be causing a sort of corruption to the IMS. Next time it happens, open up a few of those items and check the sending domains. Then, if it's possible for to do so without interrupting business, block those domains using the IMS properties. In time, you can weed out what domain/messages are causing the problem and investigate further. Sounds like a pain, but it should help...

bronto, I was having the same problem and when I check the in directory I noticed that most of the kicked back mail is in MIME format. What would be the fix here? Thanks

Try turning up diagnostics logging on the IMS, particularly for SMTP and MTA. You may get some sender info that way...

This is the sort of problem fixed in service packs - you don't say if you are on SP4.

I had a similar problem that the IMS would stop perobically. I then found out that my server was an open relay. I think the IMS would get over loaded with spam bouncing from outside, and thats what caused it to shutdown, but I had no problems restarting it! I opened the IMS properties in the exchange administrator, and found a problem with the routing for incomming SMPT mail.

The following articals helped me to fix the problem.

I hope this helps

Kevin Petursson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back