Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Excel 2013 - Making A Very Small Graph Readable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalFacets

Technical User
Nov 3, 2016
US
I've been trying to graph something that is required to fit in a very small amount of space. While the bars are readable, the labels and axis information are barely distinguishable. After spending a lot of time and trying different graphs, success has not yet been met and am looking for ideas at this time. See attached document for a visual. Thank you for feedback.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b6e64060-b534-4bd0-954f-e88999b2bb40&file=Graphing.xlsx
Hi,

Right off, the chart type is incorrect. ALL your values are less than 1. It should be a Percent Chart!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

I just downloaded it and it looks fine to me.

Your chart IS a Percent Chart???

The preview I viewed before I downloaded, looked like the Value Axis was 0 to 4 and everything was scrunched between 0 and 1.

Skip,
[sub]

Seems you also have a Secondary Axis for the last two data columns. Is that really what you want? It seems, but maybe I'm wrong, that these two series are some upper & lower threshold, and if so, ought to be on the same axis as the other data.

Skip,
[sub]

Oh, do you mean that the chart must fit in 1.45 x 3.95?

Meaningful TEXT will be difficult.

0%, 35%, 70% on Value axis.

The Category axis: good luck! Maybe a horizontal slider control.

BTW, a chart is a visual tool in-10-did-2 "summarize" tabular data. Especially in such a small area, it is NOT a tool to exact exact values. (Pun in-10-did 😜)

Skip,
[sub]

Thanks, Skip, for feedback.

Forgot one piece of meaningful info. The reason for focus on readability has to do with another 'requirement' -- document will be printed and given to 3rd parties for their interpretation. Hence, the need for readability.

I'll need to retool for another solution since I've tried many other (failed) graphing options to fix into 1.45" c 3.95". Thank you very much for your time.

So what text "needs" to be read? I mean, I've seen the 23rd Psalm printed on some impossibly small area and the only reason I could "read" it, cuz I've memorized it.

Not sure what the last sentence means.

Skip,
[sub]

What needs to be read? - Axis titles, both x and y.

Last sentence - Need to find another solution; I'm in the process of trying to get more space on the document to enlarge image.

Thanks again, Skip, for your time.

Change the dimensions of your chart to the EXACT dimensions for the report.

Then modify the axes scales and font size and any other scalable chart objects as needed. That's the best you could do.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back